• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its not going away, so live with it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimbo54 View Post
    This may have been considered before, so my apologies if my search didn't find it and I'm repeating myself, BUT....

--
    Jimbo
    Yes this all has been considered before, probably every week, someone comes up with the unique idea to set a website up for contractors to get in direct contact with companies who need them.
    It has been done many times and failed each and every time
    Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

*Cough* Many great ideas had been tried before and failed every time.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Maybe you should have started proposing ideas sometime last year, not 6 weeks before it hits as well.
        I have been working on solutions since early last year, preparing the ground for my own company, but became aware that this was not the case for many, which is why I posted.

I'm a little surprised that this or other, better solutions haven't surfaced already. This solution may not work, either for the many, or even just for me, but it's all I have until a better idea comes along.

I was trying to stimulate thought to get that "better idea" and was disappointed by the negativity I encountered.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
          *Cough* Many great ideas had been tried before and failed every time.
          So what you gonna do? Roll over and go Permie? Retire? Leave the country?

Negativity certainly won't cut it

Comment

Ignore NLUK - he's always miserable and negative.

While it would have been ideal to have a solution a while ago don't let that stop you. The benefit is everyone is desperately looking for a way out at the moment so you will have everyone's attention.

Go for it.

The issue I see is that clients dont want to have lots of supplier agreements with lots of small companies, haivng to do checks and setup paperwork for all of them. Thats why they go to engage all their contractors

Comment

I have been working on solutions since early last year, preparing the ground for my own company, but became aware that this was not the case for many, which is why I posted.

I'm a little surprised that this or other, better solutions haven't surfaced already. This solution may not work, either for the many, or even just for me, but it's all I have until a better idea comes along.

I was trying to stimulate thought to get that "better idea" and was disappointed by the negativity I encountered.
              There is no such thing as a 'better solution'. You can't change an entire industry just because you've popped up with a very simplistic idea. It's one version of many options to provide services to clients. Clients need different things from contractors so different solutions will be in play. The fact you think there is just one fix for everything is why people aren't engaging with you because it just doesn't work like that.

We've had every daft scheme you can think off trotted out on here in a couple of paragraphs with little grasp on reality and it's a little tedious which is why you are getting a cool response. There are much clever'er people out that there that have already thought of these ideas and have the wherewithal to make it stick. Some permitractor having a lightbulb moment and then having to ask a bunch of randoms if it's going to work isn't a recipe for the future of contracting is it.

All the usual blockers exist in your idea, as any others on this theme such as..
              Preferred supplier lists and vetting
              Time and money take to prepare proposals
              A bunch of contractors does not a company make
              Contractors are a mercenary bunch

and many many more. The fact you've missed some of the basics of doing business is again why people are frustrated.

Did make me smile but the fact you've completely missed many of the business points but already suggest a technology for the BB tells me a lot.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 25 February 2020, 10:15.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Poor grasp on reality doesn't either.

Comment

Crap ideas that have been tried and failed for over 20 years definitely don't cut it.

The current model works because it's the least effort for both clients and contractors - the agent in the middle does the work and pockets the commission (be it the difference in rates or if the client is big enough the fixed percentage).

Now that model doesn't change with these IR35 changes - it just makes things slightly harder for the agents (they need local contractors with skills in the area) but until market failure is obvious (Mal's 6 month timeline is probably right) the current market model will continue as is.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                    Ignore NLUK - he's always miserable and negative.
                    Don't confuse negativity with bleak realism... Sometimes, as in this post they are the same thing. Just depends on how you want to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Don't confuse negativity with bleak realism... Sometimes, as in this post they are the same thing. Just depends on how you want to take it.
                      Yep - if you think being an agent is an easy job trying being one for a few days.

The one thing i'm learning in my new business is exactly how difficult and soul destroying sales is...

And if you wish to do anything you need to sell...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X