• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outside IR35 rates coming down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Blanket bans were obvious - it was the easiest solution when you can't trust the staff and the other option is additional cost and effort.

Over time that additional cost and effort may be worthwhile but it's going to take a while.
    I disagree - the choice of procuring permies would have been more effort and cost anyway (there's a reason why a flexible labour force exists).

What hasn't been thought out is the effect of suddenly only hiring inside-IR35 contractors. This is likely to come from the pool of previously-outside-IR35 contractors, who will be somewhat rancorous (feel free to substitute your own description!), and that will feed into how well they do their roles, particularly if it's for the same client as before.

I've heard some mutterings amongst contractors thus caught, that if the rate has effectively been cut by 20% due to extra taxes, then their effort in the role will drop by the same rate. Not my sentiment, and I've noted who said it, in case I get stuck in a role with them, but it's worth being aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Disguised Contractor View Post
      Within reason.....!

Make it in London or remote, add another hundred a day, with a week's notice period, and I'll take it.

Seriously. Better than sitting and watching Daytime TV, and reading what people say they are going to do.
      Totally agree, so much so that I actually drove 40 minutes to attend the interview. If the client had behaved better I would be there today and had tens of thousands more in my pocket than I do today.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
        Totally agree, so much so that I actually drove 40 minutes to attend the interview. If the client had behaved better I would be there today and had tens of thousands more in my pocket than I do today.
        Interview? How very pre April 2020 dahrling.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the client had behaved better I would be there today and had tens of thousands more in my pocket than I do today.
          So, educate me - what did the client do that was so offensive to you, in order to deprive you of so much money?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm working in the wrong branch of IT.

Comment

So, educate me - what did the client do that was so offensive to you, in order to deprive you of so much money?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm working in the wrong branch of IT.
            They made it clear that they were going to tell me what to do and how to do it, and exactly what hours my bum needed to be on a seat in their 1970's office.

Why is tens of thousands so surprising to you? It was probably 5 months ago and I've been on the bench since. Even £300 a day eventually adds up to tens of thousands.
            Last edited by hairymouse; 27 February 2020, 17:13.

Comment

It was probably 5 months ago and I've been on the bench since. Even £300 a day eventually adds up to tens of thousands.
              By your other post, I inferred that it was a currently-advertised role that you had recently interviewed for, not five months ago.

Five months on the bench? Crikey. I have no desire to wait that long. I would have taken the role.

Please forgive me for asking, but to what reason do you attribute this long spell of bench time to?

Do you feel that you have had other opportunities that have not met your expectations or conditions, and have declined them on those grounds? Or have you not had other opportunities? Again, forgive me for asking, I'm not implying anything, just wondering why, with all due respect, someone has been out of work and not earning for nearly half a year.

Comment

By your other post, I inferred that it was a currently-advertised role that you had recently interviewed for, not five months ago.

Five months on the bench? Crikey. I have no desire to wait that long. I would have taken the role.

Please forgive me for asking, but to what reason do you attribute this long spell of bench time to?

Do you feel that you have had other opportunities that have not met your expectations or conditions, and have declined them on those grounds? Or have you not had other opportunities? Again, forgive me for asking, I'm not implying anything, just wondering why, with all due respect, someone has been out of work and not earning for nearly half a year.
                I've just ended 5 months on the bench as well. Issues contributing to it in no particular order

End of year/xmas
                IR35 issues while they sort out what they are going to do
                General market down turn that's been going on most of the year if not before
                Brexit (although not sure about this one)
                Every contractor in the country going for the outside ones if they are in gig or not (major one this)

There were just no roles coming up. A few a week tops to which 100's of people applied in the first few hours. People facing inside or PSC bans all applying for them, not just people on the bench. Also some weirdness in the process. Every gig I applied for took weeks to get feedback/interview. No apply Mon, interview Weds on site Monday. And a large percentage of roles evaporating for every reason under the sun. Very weird time.

Obviously some of the reasons will go but new reasons will appear in the next 6 weeks. If you aren't expecting or preparing for 6 months+ on the bench after April you need your head examining.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They made it clear that they were going to tell me what to do and how to do it, and exactly what hours my bum needed to be on a seat in their 1970's office.

Why is tens of thousands so surprising to you? It was probably 5 months ago and I've been on the bench since. Even £300 a day eventually adds up to tens of thousands.
                  Which you missed out on. Expensive point of principle no?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I'll sum it up because I'm sure the whole world isn't that interested in my hard time finding a contract. Roughly:
                    --Turned down some low paying contracts early on because I wasn't hungry enough to work for £300, including the one referred to.
                    --The entire month of December had nothing, and some of January.
                    --Had one actual contract that I did one day and the client was a train wreck. Terminated it myself after one day because I had another role lined up and it had to be better than that circus
                    --The other role lined up apparently went dormant after the client spent big money on DBS checks, credit checks and the normal onboarding, then radio silence. I could actually hear from them.
                    --Spent a solid month getting Azure qualifications, wasn't looking during that time
                    --Looking now with Azure qualifications and getting some action. Got an interview Monday and getting my CV sent to clients about once a day.

By the way, I did see a £300 Azure role on the job boards last week. The agents first name is Cyr, you could probably find it if you look hard.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Which you missed out on. Expensive point of principle no?
                      In hindsight, maybe. It was still only month one at that point. And the whole vibe was really not very nice.

Whatever, no crying over spilt milk.

Comment

Working...
                      X