• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract with agency. What legal rights do they have after the contract expires?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naranjas View Post
    Thanks all, very clear and consistent message!

The final contract was issued today, and the irony was it was only a last minute wobble about IR35 and my reluctance to accept any inherent risk that prompted the call with the consultancy. At that point they wheeled out the "you have to, Client would go spare with you and us and you'd be in breach" and properly triggered me.

Now as NotAllThere says, I'm not inclined to sign anything with these people, let alone an employment contract that contains multiple "breach" and "personal conduct detrimental to the company" type clauses. If they wheeled it out of thin air today, can you imagine what they would do if they actually had a legal case?

Thanks again all
    I would ask for a 25% rate increase also

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Consultancy is being ultra aggressive with me saying that if I don’t sign the PAYE contract then I’m in breach of contract as the end client has been told I’m turning up next week and the impact would be deleterious on the consultancy and the end client if I don’t sign.
      *cough* bullsh1t *cough*

nowhere in your current contract is there a clause saying you have to accept an alternative one.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks all, very clear and consistent message!

The final contract was issued today, and the irony was it was only a last minute wobble about IR35 and my reluctance to accept any inherent risk that prompted the call with the consultancy. At that point they wheeled out the "you have to, Client would go spare with you and us and you'd be in breach" and properly triggered me.

Now as NotAllThere says, I'm not inclined to sign anything with these people, let alone an employment contract that contains multiple "breach" and "personal conduct detrimental to the company" type clauses. If they wheeled it out of thin air today, can you imagine what they would do if they actually had a legal case?

Thanks again all
        this is a record surely?
        2 posts in and a happy OP....
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Quick follow up, I’m expecting some BS in regards the consultancy paying my final invoice from my Ltd at the end of the week. Getting client sign off will be fine so not worried on that account.

If they don’t pay by the 30d I assume it’s chase nicely > chase again > chase hard and then legal action?

Comment

Quick follow up, I’m expecting some BS in regards the consultancy paying my final invoice from my Ltd at the end of the week. Getting client sign off will be fine so not worried on that account.

If they don’t pay by the 30d I assume it’s chase nicely > chase again > chase hard and then legal action?
            safe collections used to post on here -find their posts and follow their advice
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Complete bollacks. End of contract thats it....

I did have a client like this. Left renewals to last day EVERY time. Really annoying. No matter how many time I explained to them that they were taking a risk nothing else came up they would not change.

They had this idea in their head that a contractor STILL had to give a months notice. i.e. They couldn't just not renew without a months notice. In the end, one of the contractors had enough, sorted another gig out, let the contract expire and then didn't turn up monday.

They phoned him, threatened him the lot then found out they were wrong all along....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Yep. That's what I did with one consultancy. Adding on the statutory interest and admin charge. And sending copies of the invoices, credit statements and eventually the final demand to the home addresses of the consultancy's directors...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Yep. That's what I did with one consultancy. Adding on the statutory interest and admin charge. And sending copies of the invoices, credit statements and eventually the final demand to the home addresses of the consultancy's directors...
                  I'm not saying it didn't work but you had to flee the country later
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    I would ask for a 25% rate increase also

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    At least 50% if your that indispensable.
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

There is no way I would want to work with anyone attempting to treat me this way. I'm not sure why agents these days seem to think of contractors as their slaves and that they are the masters. It used to be the other way round. We have the skills and they are fortunate if they get to represent us and can make some money from the relationship.

In my case out of courtesy I told one of the agencies with three weeks remaining that I would not be renewing due to the impending off payroll changes (of which they had done nothing to inform me about what they were doing or engage properly with the client on). The agent had the nerve to tell me I couldn't leave as I hadn't given them a months notice and I'd have to stay on at which point I told them politely that I was under no obligation to accept any extension to the current contract and I wouldn't be working on beyond it. The end date is the end date and thats all the notice they need. If they terminate then that is the end date.

Comment

Working...
                      X