• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work Package requested from Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Package requested from Client

So at present carrying out a short interim PM role for a client to understand what it will take to get a stalled project back on track.

Relationship is PSC - Agency - End Client

Currently Deemed as outside IR35 by carrying out CEST assessment with reference to Agency contract. Contract due to finish mid March.

End client has requested the following for me to get an extension going into post 6th April scenario.

I am providing the service of a Internal PM for them; to get a externally supplied product that has already been implemented and stalled implemented successfully and within a time frame.

In order to be considered ‘off payroll’ our working arrangement would need to generally satisfy the following criteria:
    • set a specific set of tangible and measurable work packages with key deliverable's and delivery date with check-ins
    My understanding is I am providing the service of a Project Manager not the Product itself, that is being supplied via external provider. Can I, and should I be held responsible if for example the Supplier relationship breaks down, and I am unable to complete delivery? OR as I believe my deliverable should be based around Project Artifacts as opposed to Products.
    • paid on delivery of work package – cannot be paid on an hourly, daily or weekly rate
    Again why can a day rate not be provisioned for a service as opposed to a Work Package?
    • has financial penalties for non-delivery
    Given I have not selected, Product, Supplier, Solution, and it is already in place but not live, then how can I have penalty clauses?
    • is not expected to attend site unless they are updating us on progress or participating in a relevant meeting
    Cannot disagree
    • cannot be asked to do any additional BAU activity outside of the work package
    Absolutely correct unless my agreement is sought
    • should be using their own equipment, their own email addresses and should generally not work in the office (we certainly shouldn’t give them a desk).
    Correct and within reason to accomplish Service being provisioned, logins will be required for collaboration with Project Team who are members of staff (Permies)

Perhaps I am being a little cautious here but its almost as if I am being set-up to fail given,
    1. I have not selected the solution, supplier, Project Team,
    2. I see myself as provision of a service as opposed to a product, so is it right that I should have to get paid on packages as opposed to time and Material basis (day Rate)

Thoughts appreciated, and as an aside how much of this should be sorted by agency and not me?

So long as you word the work package around the services you deliver, and not some outcomes that will inevitably depend on 3rd parties, then I can't see why this would not be possible. The challenge will be providing delivery dates where there are these dependencies, but only you can say what those are and whether you can word the work packages around these.

I agree the agency should (at least) be helping put the wording together - its in their interest too.

Comment

Your post is a little confusing so I am not sure if i am understanding it correctly.

Has the product been implemented or not? Are they live or not?

I wouldn't ever guarantee someone else's product or work unless you are selecting and managing them yourself. Well I guess I shouldn't say never, I mean I would do it but at a significant premium.

Comment

Working...
      X