• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So Confused - Left Field Offer - WWYD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Confused - Left Field Offer - WWYD?

Please be gentle - I don't know anything about the issue I'm about to explain and I am happy to admit as much!

Tomorrow is my last day with my current client. I refused to switch outside-to-inside due to their blanket ban on PSCs. Nothing has been said other than thanks for your work, good luck with your future endeavours etc. etc.... until today.

I have been asked if there is any way in which I would change my mind - they have a new project about to start that they've just received funding for and they would like me on it. I explained my position and that I wouldn't take an extension inside, but to buzz me in a few months if they're still looking.

Keen to find a way around this, they've spoken to one of the consultancy firms they use, who have offered to take me on as a perm employee (of course, why wouldn't they), contracted out to the same end client. I am to 'name my price' although from the limited research I've done since I had this landed on me this morning is that said price will unlikely be met anyway...

Said consultancy is TCS. Did a quick search of the board before posting and found no positive comments about them. That said, there are about 15 people here who work through them (mostly from India, granted) who are perfectly happy and who have been with them for years.

What would you do? Until this morning I had accepted the fact I will be living off my war chest for a while and applying for whatever suitable roles I could find. I really enjoy working for this client and would love to stay but I am really not sure about this. They want an answer tomorrow.

Client have also said they'd start a new contract with a new role title for me (which it would be, genuinely) if I stayed via umbrella co. but I'm not sure this is much better than just extending from a risk POV - am I being paranoid/ridiculous?

What would you do and why?! My tiny little brain is about to explode.

Originally posted by ProjectPimp View Post
    Please be gentle - I don't know anything about the issue I'm about to explain and I am happy to admit as much!

Tomorrow is my last day with my current client. I refused to switch outside-to-inside due to their blanket ban on PSCs. Nothing has been said other than thanks for your work, good luck with your future endeavours etc. etc.... until today.

I have been asked if there is any way in which I would change my mind - they have a new project about to start that they've just received funding for and they would like me on it. I explained my position and that I wouldn't take an extension inside, but to buzz me in a few months if they're still looking.

Keen to find a way around this, they've spoken to one of the consultancy firms they use, who have offered to take me on as a perm employee (of course, why wouldn't they), contracted out to the same end client. I am to 'name my price' although from the limited research I've done since I had this landed on me this morning is that said price will unlikely be met anyway...

Said consultancy is TCS. Did a quick search of the board before posting and found no positive comments about them. That said, there are about 15 people here who work through them (mostly from India, granted) who are perfectly happy and who have been with them for years.

What would you do? Until this morning I had accepted the fact I will be living off my war chest for a while and applying for whatever suitable roles I could find. I really enjoy working for this client and would love to stay but I am really not sure about this. They want an answer tomorrow.

Client have also said they'd start a new contract with a new role title for me (which it would be, genuinely) if I stayed via umbrella co. but I'm not sure this is much better than just extending from a risk POV - am I being paranoid/ridiculous?

What would you do and why?! My tiny little brain is about to explode.
    Don't go near TCS - there is a reason why there are no positive comments about

My advice would be to walk - the client has a problem of their own making - they need to suffer before they will understand the mistake so let them suffer.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

ask for the very large number you think they'll refuse.
      If they refuse then great. You don't have to work with TCS.
      If they accept then great. You get paid more than you thought you could get.

Sounds like you win either way.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        ask for the very large number you think they'll refuse.
        If they refuse then great. You don't have to work with TCS.
        If they accept then great. You get paid more than you thought you could get.

Sounds like you win either way.
        What about TCS binning you at the first opportunity?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I've worked through TCS before - I had no issues with them and I got decent rate. They did try to get me to mentor/coach their permanent members of staff (who were outsourced to the client on various projects) and tried to getme involved in their Centres of Excellence, but I didn't play along as that was not part of my contract.

Comment

The end client seems to be driving this - I'd bin them once the contract was up.

Not on here, no, but one of the guys I just spoke to has been with them for 16 years and hasn't a bad thing to say.

Comment

meh.
              They've overpaid you. You know it's coming. Don't sweat it.
              It's not like the client will expect you to do anything useful now that you have to ask permission from the senior managers before you do the needfull.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Which is why you ask for a stupidly large number.

TCS will bin you as soon as they think they can replace you. Expect to be told to train up your replacement as the first thing you do.

Do be aware that the rules have changed slightly with the HMRC publication of the changes following the reform review this morning. They have made a clear statement that they will not use an outside/inside move as a reason to open an historical investigation into the PSC involved, unless they suspect fraud or criminal conduct. If you have done your due diligence, got a review from QDOS etc, documented working practices, investigation insurance etc. they you are on firmer ground than we were previously and a change to inside does not carry the same risk that it previously did.

If the client are prepared to pay you your asking price via TCS, plus their margin, then you are in a position to negotiate that fee directly with them, minus the TCS costs.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPimp View Post

Client have also said they'd start a new contract with a new role title for me (which it would be, genuinely) if I stayed via umbrella co. but I'm not sure this is much better than just extending outside-to-inside from a risk POV - am I being paranoid/ridiculous?
                  Any thoughts on this bit of my post? This would be my preferred option to be honest but... ugh.

Comment

Why not a direct outside IR35 contract with your end client? After all, if you are there to deliver a key part of a specific project, ,there's no way you can be inside IR35 given a proper B2B arrangement. And similarly they will have contracts with other small company suppliers, so there is precedent...

Yes, I know, they won't go for it. But at least raise the spectre of doubt in their minds about how pointlessly stupid and expensive a blanket ban really is. then wish them luck and go look elsewhere.

And don't go near TCS. They are out for their own gains only and will dump you as soon as they think one of their people can do the job. They can't but that is not part of their thinking.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X