• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So Confused - Left Field Offer - WWYD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd do as Lance suggests.

TCS won't can you while the client still wants you and is paying them for you. Just make sure you ask very clearly for the salary you need, and don't get fobbed off by "benefits" being worth £xxx etc.

I wouldn't try to build a career with TCS but as a short-term solution to a specific problem I don't really see an issue.

Comment

[PC] I'd rather chop my own knob off with a butter knife than work with TCS[/PC]
      Last edited by northernladuk; 27 February 2020, 14:12.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPimp View Post
        Any thoughts on this bit of my post? This would be my preferred option to be honest but... ugh.
        We've discussed this scenario endlessly. Plenty of discussion about the all the aspects you are considering.

Use the Google search to find the threads. Type (keywords) site:contractoruk.com/forums

If you've got the option to use your own umbrella speak to Lucy and Clarity. They've got a very nice pension setup that can help you mitigate some of the tax.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPimp View Post
          Any thoughts on this bit of my post? This would be my preferred option to be honest but... ugh.
          How long have you been there?

Many people would say not to go down this route in a million years but I dunno. If you've been there forever then I'd probably agree but I don't see this as being the guaranteed investigation that some people think it would be. There must be some amount of risk, yes, but frankly the purpose of the IR35 reforms is precisely to whack people into PAYE, which is achieved by the Umbrella move. Unless they think you've been royally taking the mickey for a decade I can't see routine enquiries into even a tiny proportion of the thousands of people that will go outside --> Umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Which is why you ask for a stupidly large number.

TCS will bin you as soon as they think they can replace you. Expect to be told to train up your replacement as the first thing you do.

Do be aware that the rules have changed slightly with the HMRC publication of the changes following the reform review this morning. They have made a clear statement that they will not use an outside/inside move as a reason to open an historical investigation into the PSC involved, unless they suspect fraud or criminal conduct. If you have done your due diligence, got a review from QDOS etc, documented working practices, investigation insurance etc. they you are on firmer ground than we were previously and achange to inside does not carry the same risk that it previously did.

If the client are prepared to pay you your asking price via TCS, plus their margin, then you are in a position to negotiate that fee directly with them, minus the TCS costs.
            Um, the risk is the same - nothing HMRC wrote today differs from earlier this month.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
              How long have you been there?

Many people would say not to go down this route in a million years but I dunno. If you've been there forever then I'd probably agree but I don't see this as being the guaranteed investigation that some people think it would be. There must be some amount of risk, yes, but frankly the purpose of the IR35 reforms is precisely to whack people into PAYE, which is achieved by the Umbrella move. Unless they think you've been royally taking the mickey for a decade I can't see routine enquiries into even a tiny proportion of the thousands of people that will go outside --> Umbrella.
              Since Sept '16 - 2 different role types on 3 different projects in 3 different locations... but put through as extensions because it was easier for the client and I was too stupid to realise that was a bad idea at the time.

Comment

If you're going to be employed directly by TCS, and not by an Umbrella or similar, I'm not sure this would look any different from the outside to you just taking a completely unrelated permie job somewhere you've never worked before.

If the salary is sufficiently silly, I must say I'd strongly consider this.

Comment

Is the alternative to be on the bench?

Don't forget that the contract market is decimated. There's hardly any contracts out there and there's tons of competition. You could easily be looking at 6 months on the bench, burning through £50 k of warchest.

You'll go from "we really like you, name your rate" to "stand at the back of the line, the rate is £300 per day inside IR35"

Think long and hard before giving up any contract in this market.

Comment

Thanks, all, for humouring my frazzled little brain.

I've named my price and will wait and see. I've refused a perm arrangement with TCS and told them I'd want a fixed term contract instead.

Worst case scenario(s): a) They/client say no; b) They/client say yes, I take it, don't like and leave.

Either way, I'm only back to where I started this morning.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      ask for the very large number you think they'll refuse.
                      If they refuse then great. You don't have to work with TCS.
                      If they accept then great. You get paid more than you thought you could get.

Sounds like you win either way.
                      A lot to be said for a **** off price.

Comment

Working...
                      X