• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pricing market research consultation / expert network call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pricing market research consultation / expert network call

So have been approached few weeks back by an analyst wanting to discuss general trends and how I feel about ER&D consulting business that I have part of in the past.
    I would have gladly spilled the beans and ranted for a few hours on the subject.
    But wasn't quite sure what to charge so asked him if I can get questions in advance before call(to know if I can bill those hours also) and what is the range he has on offer.
    Rate came quite low at €100/h so considering the risks and effort decided it was not worth it.

Has anyone done this and managed to get a decent rate? They seem to usually commit to an initial call but I would assume it could be re-occurring once they have to review their positions at different milestones. Do you get payed for preparation or only the call part where they ambush you with questions?

Get approached for this a couple of times per year through LinkedIn. Have always ignored it so far as I feel it may be a scam, would like to hear too if anyone has done it

Comment

The last few requests came form a company called ProSapient

The consultation will take place at a convenient time for you and will last 1 hour. You will be compensated at $400 per hour. Please leave your number if you would be interested in discussing this opportunity.

Comment

Haven't been approached but for little effort it could be worth a hour or two of your time, if you've nothing better to do?

If it turns out you don't get paid, or they try to sell you something at the end, just don't do it again.

Comment

Considering it was coming from an analyst that was employed by a hedge fund seemed more genuine.
          Overall impression was that he was pushing for free advice which I would have not entertained. Had doubts as well that I would receive payment.

Do you have to put a contract in place for short engagements? Or is it suffice to have the client details then invoice with a bit mored information in the invoice to create liability?

Looking online there seem to be a few articles on bloomberg:
          mifid-ii-opens-window-for-experts
          investors-are-paying-1-300-per-hour-for-expert-chats

Comment

Got offered £250 per hour for a similar gig.
            https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Still getting these requests now and then and I decided to follow up on one.
              I found out how the scam works. Before you can provide the consultancy, you have to register with them and give them your creditcard details so they can "pay" you
              Reported the guy to LinkedIn as a scammer

Comment

What a coincidence. I've just started a thread about something like this offered by Gerson Lehrman Group (GLG)
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  What a coincidence. I've just started a thread about something like this offered by Gerson Lehrman Group (GLG)
                  I did not hear back from mine after asking half my dayrate for 1h call + preparation time.

They usually have a thesis that they are testing, sometime they would not want to share any of the information before the meeting so you might get some surprise questions.

I do not have any loyalty but there has to be an offer worth considering. At least a few thousands commitment involved.

For a few hundreds you can't even get a stripper to dry hump you these days...

Comment

I get loads of these requests via LinkedIn and ignore them all. Many are usually not even very well targeted so I doubt the 'research' company's credentials.

Comment

Working...
                    X