• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Cleared?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Cleared?

It took a week from applying for clientco to tell me it came through. But I didn't get any official e-mail, just one to my clientco work email saying it has been granted.

How do I prove it came through and how do I prove it to other people with no official correspondance or e-mail?

I expected at least an e-mail from mod. When I log in, it says status: completed. Googling this shows half the pages saying it means it was granted, and half saying it just means the application has been completed...

Can anyone shed any light on this?

ClientCo will usually advise you. Either the Security Office, or via Contract manager.

Depending on vetting agency, you might, or might not get a Certificate or Photo ID.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Yes, that's what happened. I'm just wondering when I apply to another job, if they ask for proof of SC Clearance, how I do that if all I have is 'fw: fw: your clearance came through' from someone I've never met or spoken to in a far off department of a place I used to work forwarded to my own e-mail lol

Comment

You give the number of the security team at your old client.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And once again let us remind you that you don't hold security clearance, the role does. In effect you are allowed to perform the role since you are judged not to be at risk of divulging its secrets. Once you leave the role, you are no longer cleared, but the relevant paperwork will be held by your old security team for one year and they may be able to pass that on to your new client and avoid going through the whole process again for that one year. And I emphasise, "may", since it depends on the new role's requirements. You will need to be re-vetted every five years anyway (ten if you're a permie in a government or a List-X organisation).

And as an aside, you are also not allowed to discuss or disclose your clearance status, a minor detail 99% of agencies fail to understand.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You want to check the status of your clearance, give UKSV a call and ask them - it's that simple.

Opening hours:
            Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
            Telephone:
            01904 662 644

Choose the 'Candidate' option when calling.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              And once again let us remind you that you don't hold security clearance, the role does. In effect you are allowed to perform the role since you are judged not to be at risk of divulging its secrets. Once you leave the role, you are no longer cleared, but the relevant paperwork will be held by your old security team for one year and they may be able to pass that on to your new client and avoid going through the whole process again for that one year. And I emphasise, "may", since it depends on the new role's requirements. You will need to be re-vetted every five years anyway (ten if you're a permie in a government or a List-X organisation).

And as an aside, you are also not allowed to discuss or disclose your clearance status, a minor detail 99% of agencies fail to understand.
              I was told I had it for 7 years? This whole thing seems mighty confusing. I keep being asked by agencies if I have SC because it's required for the new role. So how can the answer be 'yes' unless I am in an SC role at the time they call? If once I leave I am not cleared anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                It took a week from applying for clientco to tell me it came through. But I didn't get any official e-mail, just one to my clientco work email saying it has been granted.

How do I prove it came through and how do I prove it to other people with no official correspondance or e-mail?

I expected at least an e-mail from mod. When I log in, it says status: completed. Googling this shows half the pages saying it means it was granted, and half saying it just means the application has been completed...

Can anyone shed any light on this?
                Why would you need to prove it to anyone else?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I was told I had it for 7 years? This whole thing seems mighty confusing.
                  It is, possibly on purpose. Nobody wants to make it too easy to game the system, after all. It may be 7 years, it is usually 5 or 10, it all depends on the vetting agency and the requirement of the sponsor at the time. But in reality it dies one year after you leave the last role that needed it.

I keep being asked by agencies if I have SC because it's required for the new role. So how can the answer be 'yes' unless I am in an SC role at the time they call? If once I leave I am not cleared anymore?
                  You don't need to be cleared to apply for a role. You don't need to be cleared, beyond a basic ID check, to work on a role subject to certain restrictions until the clearance comes through. Agencies are using clearance as just another filter to keep the list of applicants manageable*. If you have clearance then say so, but always be aware it might not be relevant when it comes to getting it transferred.

Incidentally "Completed" means the vetting people have done their thing. It's now with the local security team to decide what to do with it. You can still fail to pass their requirements.

* Of course what this means is that the same pool of candidates keep being put forward, meaning the clients are getting out of date people because the new ones with current skills aren't working in cleared roles. Go figure why government IT is so poor...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I was told I had it for 7 years? This whole thing seems mighty confusing. I keep being asked by agencies if I have SC because it's required for the new role. So how can the answer be 'yes' unless I am in an SC role at the time they call? If once I leave I am not cleared anymore?
                    It is 7 years now for contractors. Your clearance remains active, for up to 12 months after you leave the role, provided that there is at least 12 months remaining. It is "parked" with your last holder for that duration.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X