• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

La Fosse Associates - experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Disguised Contractor View Post
    Many thanks for all the responses so far - and doubly so for not turning this into a warzone (!).

So many positive comments in their favour - maybe it is me just not coming up to their standard, so I have to raise my game.

What I did find interesting to read in these responses, was the advice to call the agency - now, that I regarded as being a very big no-no, that would cause me much more harm than good.

I have tried to follow-up applications on Jobserve and the other board with calls directly to the advertising agent, to try and, as you say, increase my profile with them in their mind and be one of the lucky few who gets submitted out of the hundreds that apply.The overwhelming response, has been that this is:-

a) not practical, as the agent becomes snowed-under with calls, and you will not get through,
    b) not useful, because all they will say is, "have you sent in your CV? Yes? Then we'll get back to you if we think you're suitable",
    c) not productive, because they don't want candidates to call them out-of-process, and may even remember the name of the horrible urchin who tried to subvert it...

The fact that practically no agency puts their phone numbers on their Jobserve adverts or their contact records, and that their websites are increasingly not including phone numbers either, would seem to support this. Some "boutique" agencies are even ex-directory!

No, after not getting any success at all with that model, I gave that up. You say you had success?
    I'm voting with you on this and I've always been mystified that people are calling agents out of the blue. For exactly the reasons you list.

If they like my CV, they will call me.

Comment

a) not practical, as the agent becomes snowed-under with calls, and you will not get through,
      That's just crazy. Do they not want to speak to people who can potentially help them earn money?

b) not useful, because all they will say is, "have you sent in your CV? Yes? Then we'll get back to you if we think you're suitable",
      In this case I would just say I wanted to get more information about the role first to determine whether it's right for me

c) not productive, because they don't want candidates to call them out-of-process, and may even remember the name of the horrible urchin who tried to subvert it...
      If they advertise a role and then get annoyed when potential candidates try to get in touch, then they're a clown

The fact that practically no agency puts their phone numbers on their Jobserve adverts or their contact records, and that their websites are increasingly not including phone numbers either, would seem to support this. Some "boutique" agencies are even ex-directory!

I don't find this to be the case personally but if there's a name but no number, in the past I've tried to track them down through LinkedIn & get in touch that way. If they get annoyed, IDGAF. It's not like agents never annoy me!
      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
        I'm voting with you on this and I've always been mystified that people are calling agents out of the blue. For exactly the reasons you list.

Again, that's just crazy. Do you want to work or not? I saw once that an agent had posted a status on LinkedIn about a role and she had also viewed my profile, but she didn't get in touch. I phoned her and asked about it. Long story short, I started two weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post

I have a handful of agents I use regularly. When I'm coming to the end of a contract, or am looking for a new one, I will call them.
          I maintain communications with them and by being in their faces, they are more likely to remember that I'm available and to call me when something turns up - without them advertising it.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
            Again, that's just crazy. Do you want to work or not? I saw once that an agent had posted a status on LinkedIn about a role and she had also viewed my profile, but she didn't get in touch. I phoned her and asked about it. Long story short, I started two weeks later.
            LinkedIn is critically different from using the phone - it's a messenger that doesn't need to be responded to immediately, and thus offers the recipient to gather thoughts and manage their own time. Messengers offer a more manageable and more civilised alternative from the urgency of telephones. Agents don't mind those.

And, yes, of course, I want to work. Towards this goal, not annoying my agent seems like an important consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I have a handful of agents I use regularly. When I'm coming to the end of a contract, or am looking for a new one, I will call them.
              I maintain communications with them and by being in their faces, they are more likely to remember that I'm available and to call me when something turns up - without them advertising it.
              Hmm - a handful, you say? Given the number of agencies in the UK is nearly 40,000 at my last count, would you consider that an efficient number with whom to interact exclusively? Particularly given the number of preferred supplier agreements in place?

In addition, the agencies with the most roles (hence most likely to have a job that fits you - this is purely a numbers game) will have larger staff counts, split into teams along specific common areas of demand. The number of people you are relying on to recall you seems disproportionately small, but I respect what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Do you not think the problem is a little closer to home?

Never had a gig through La Fosse which has been a shame as three of the best agents that actually bothered to keep in touch with me over the years have been with them. Still in touch with one that has now left. Can't fault them on that level.
                Me too, actually
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

LinkedIn is critically different from using the phone - it's a messenger that doesn't need to be responded to immediately, and thus offers the recipient to gather thoughts and manage their own time. Messengers offer a more manageable and more civilised alternative from the urgency of telephones. Agents don't mind those.

And, yes, of course, I want to work. Towards this goal, not annoying my agent seems like an important consideration.
                  Read my post. I phoned her. I got the job. Had I not phoned her I wouldn't have.

Comment

That's just crazy. Do they not want to speak to people who can potentially help them earn money?
                    Yes. The problem is that there's several hundred for each role, and not much to differentiate them.

If they advertise a role and then get annoyed when potential candidates try to get in touch, then they're a clown
                    Why? Are they not allowed to advertise a role and manage the response accordingly? Should the organisers of a popular public event be criticised because they put safety barriers and crowd controls in place, instead of organising a personal handshake at the door from the talent to everybody buying a ticket?

It's no longer a case as it was a couple of decades ago, where just a handful of people had to be found for certain esoteric roles, and making yourself known was important - now, the commoditization of IT means the numbers of candidates far exceed available roles, and not everybody can make themselves known as before. All you can do is have your CV show how you differentiate from others, and hope that it gets picked up.

It's not ideal, sure, it's not as personal or as personable as it used to be, which is why I personally won't shed a tear if I do go permanent soon - contracting isn't the "profession" it used to be. I have no reason to believe a permanent career will be any less challenging, even if it isn't as financially rewarding. I'm in this life for the experiences, not the acquisition of wealth.

If they get annoyed, IDGAF. It's not like agents never annoy me!
                    Ah, well now, what agent knowing that would willingly trouble you with such a call?

Comment

Hmm - a handful, you say? Given the number of agencies in the UK is nearly 40,000 at my last count, would you consider that an efficient number with whom to interact exclusively? Particularly given the number of preferred supplier agreements in place?

In addition, the agencies with the most roles (hence most likely to have a job that fits you - this is purely a numbers game) will have larger staff counts, split into teams along specific common areas of demand. The number of people you are relying on to recall you seems disproportionately small, but I respect what works for you.
                      Yes, off the top of my head, it's probably about 6.

In the last 20 years (and 10+ customers) I've rarely been without work when I've wanted it. Sometimes through agents and sometimes direct.

Two of the agents know exactly where I am (one due to him placing me this time), another 2 know I'm not currently available, and the last two will probably ring me in the next month to get updates.
                      The two who know where I am are also trying to organise a time to suit when a few of us can meet up for drinks.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X