Work in Banking? Don't worry about the blanket ban you were probably inside all along Work in Banking? Don't worry about the blanket ban you were probably inside all along
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 175
  1. #1

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,974

    Default Work in Banking? Don't worry about the blanket ban you were probably inside all along

    As today's IR35 tribunal makes clear ...
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28th June 2020 at 20:33.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  2. #2

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,938

    Default

    So he didn't leave after he completed his first project with the Nationwide.

    Oops.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28th June 2020 at 20:34.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Oh dear.

    Well, let's hope the chap has enough in his warchest to cover both the £70k, plus whatever Corporation Tax will be due for 19/20. 'Cos with the new laws post April, there ain't gonna be much going into his Company account henceforth.

  4. #4

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    109,087

    Default

    Will HMRC now chase retrospecively?

    If only there was a court case where scheme users wanted to be found inside....

  5. #5

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Brexitville
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Will HMRC now chase retrospecively?
    Of course they will. They will start by going after those who have had large revenues over the last several years

  6. #6

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    So he didn't leave after he completed his first project with the Nationwide.

    Oops.
    I don't think that was the issue here - my attention was drawn to this bit

    However, crucially, granted the bank’s “need as a highly regulated business to monitor the progress of the relevant project”, it was determined that Lee was subject to an overarching degree of control.
    which basically says that bank's due have to assert control - and that's enough to be inside..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  7. #7

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post
    Oh dear.

    Well, let's hope the chap has enough in his warchest to cover both the £70k, plus whatever Corporation Tax will be due for 19/20. 'Cos with the new laws post April, there ain't gonna be much going into his Company account henceforth.
    How does this work in practice - can he offset the extra Corporation Tax he paid back then against the £70k that's found against him so the actual amount he'll have to settle will be lower?

  8. #8

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    979

    Default Work in Banking? Don't worry about the blanket ban you were probably inside all along

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    I don't think that was the issue here - my attention was drawn to this bit



    which basically says that bank's due have to assert control - and that's enough to be inside..
    Do hmrc only have to prove one of the three pillars to win the case? I thought it would have to be the other way around, accused only having to prove MoO or RoS to get off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

    edit: OK read the article, interesting part about MoO that can be used elsewhere though
    Last edited by Antman; 4th March 2020 at 13:11.

  9. #9

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pring View Post
    How does this work in practice - can he offset the extra Corporation Tax he paid back then against the £70k that's found against him so the actual amount he'll have to settle will be lower?
    Sorry, this I do not know.

    Best guess, said chap owes back taxes to the tune of £70k, irrespective of what he owes in ongoing contracts. To wit, I am not sure he is still in Nationwide. If he is elsewhere let's say, it will be This plus That.

    If he is still at NW, I have no idea.

  10. #10

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    Do hmrc only have to prove one of the three pillars to win the case? I thought it would have to be the other way around, accused only having to prove MoO or RoS to get off.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RoS isn't mentioned. MoO is mentioned but it wasn't a deciding factor - there is no MoO between contracts but was within the contracts themselves.

    Oh found it - dismissed as
    Finally, I have found that there was no substantive prospect of MrLee asking for or Nationwide, acting reasonably, agreeing to a substitute
    MoO is always going to be an awkward one as it doesn't actually mean what people think it does...
    Last edited by eek; 4th March 2020 at 13:11.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •