• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work in Banking? Don't worry about the blanket ban you were probably inside all along

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work in Banking? Don't worry about the blanket ban you were probably inside all along

As today's IR35 tribunal makes clear ...
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:33.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

So he didn't leave after he completed his first project with the Nationwide.

Oops.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:34.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh dear.

Well, let's hope the chap has enough in his warchest to cover both the £70k, plus whatever Corporation Tax will be due for 19/20. 'Cos with the new laws post April, there ain't gonna be much going into his Company account henceforth.

Comment

Will HMRC now chase retrospecively?

If only there was a court case where scheme users wanted to be found inside....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Will HMRC now chase retrospecively?
          Of course they will. They will start by going after those who have had large revenues over the last several years

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            So he didn't leave after he completed his first project with the Nationwide.

Oops.
            I don't think that was the issue here - my attention was drawn to this bit

However, crucially, granted the bank’s “need as a highly regulated business to monitor the progress of the relevant project”, it was determined that Lee was subject to an overarching degree of control.
            which basically says that bank's due have to assert control - and that's enough to be inside..

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              Oh dear.

Well, let's hope the chap has enough in his warchest to cover both the £70k, plus whatever Corporation Tax will be due for 19/20. 'Cos with the new laws post April, there ain't gonna be much going into his Company account henceforth.
              How does this work in practice - can he offset the extra Corporation Tax he paid back then against the £70k that's found against him so the actual amount he'll have to settle will be lower?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I don't think that was the issue here - my attention was drawn to this bit

which basically says that bank's due have to assert control - and that's enough to be inside..
                Do hmrc only have to prove one of the three pillars to win the case? I thought it would have to be the other way around, accused only having to prove MoO or RoS to get off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata

edit: OK read the article, interesting part about MoO that can be used elsewhere though
                Last edited by Antman; 4 March 2020, 13:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Pring View Post
                  How does this work in practice - can he offset the extra Corporation Tax he paid back then against the £70k that's found against him so the actual amount he'll have to settle will be lower?
                  Sorry, this I do not know.

Best guess, said chap owes back taxes to the tune of £70k, irrespective of what he owes in ongoing contracts. To wit, I am not sure he is still in Nationwide. If he is elsewhere let's say, it will be This plus That.

If he is still at NW, I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                    Do hmrc only have to prove one of the three pillars to win the case? I thought it would have to be the other way around, accused only having to prove MoO or RoS to get off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    RoS isn't mentioned. MoO is mentioned but it wasn't a deciding factor - there is no MoO between contracts but was within the contracts themselves.

Oh found it - dismissed as
                    Finally, I have found that there was no substantive prospect of MrLee asking for or Nationwide, acting reasonably, agreeing to a substitute
                    MoO is always going to be an awkward one as it doesn't actually mean what people think it does...
                    Last edited by eek; 4 March 2020, 13:11.

Comment

Working...
                    X