• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self employed-contractor-WFH

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self employed-contractor-WFH

So i am a self employed ltd company contractor

I am working for/providing services to a company

I got this contracting position through an agency

My question is this..:

Can you work from home? Are you obligated to work in the clients office monday-friday?

A huge light needs to be shon on this because there have been a few times where i have texted/emailed the line manager and theyve informed me (theyll mark me as sick????? Well i maybe sick but i am working from home... why would that be an issue....?)

There have also been times where ive directly texted (ill be working from home today and the response back is you arent allowed to work from home and it would be classed as leave??

Im not sure where this line manager has got this information from, but i am not a permanent member of staff on the companies payroll, so why is he treating me like one....?

I have missed out on a number of days (day rate pays) because of this issue....

I also read recently that contractors are not obligated to work in a designated office that they can work anywhere and do all different types of hours.......

I look forward to any help you guys can bring to this!!!!

Thanks,

What does your client say?

If they say yes, you can.

If they say no, you can’t.

That’s it.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'll bite cos I'm bored.

It all depends on what you negotiate with the client.

However I think if the first time you have mentioned 'working from home' is when you were also calling in sick then I can see how that could be a problem.

Also does your client have a culture of letting their own staff work from home or would it only be you?

Do you think the client can trust you to deliver when they cannot directly see you?

Anyway there are a few starters for you...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        What does your client say?

If they say yes, you can.

If they say no, you can’t.

That’s it.

To confirm, this scenario is based upon and around the client? And has nothing to do with any regulations/laws or hmrc guidelines....?

Comment

Originally posted by Dranzer View Post
          To confirm, this scenario is based upon and around the client? And has nothing to do with any regulations/laws or hmrc guidelines....?
          There are NO regulations or laws that give contractors these rights. It’s all down to the client.

If they say no you can give notice of course (or try and WFH and have the client fire you).
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It's a hot topic. Issue is silly managers who see you as a perm but you see yourself as a limited.

So far all my contracts I can do what I want and work the hours I want. Main thing is I deliver on dates.

Also point out with IR35 things will change. Inside will be like what your experiencing. Outside would be more like mine.

Saying that also don't forget it's dependant on you work at hand. If it's a project to develop or write up that requires little interaction with client employees then working from home would be fine. If it's more training and BA kind of thing I would assume you would be in the client office for a more face to face.

Some managers are stuck in the 90s and have little trust, some don't want contractors to work from home because employees would get upset as they see you as an employee. Some need to see you work and partly due to above (trust). Some is related to actual role.

As a contractor you want to be treated as a 3rd party business but your not seen as that unfortunately for now and one of the reasons why IR35 is coming to contractors.

As others have said should of mentioned it from the start as I do.

Comment

Self employed and working via a Ltd Co? Is your client happy that you're not exclusive to them and you have a side job

Comment

Originally posted by Dranzer View Post
                So i am a self employed ltd company contractor

I am working for/providing services to a company

I got this contracting position through an agency

My question is this..:

Can you work from home? Are you obligated to work in the clients office monday-friday?

A huge light needs to be shon on this because there have been a few times where i have texted/emailed the line manager and theyve informed me (theyll mark me as sick????? Well i maybe sick but i am working from home... why would that be an issue....?)

There have also been times where ive directly texted (ill be working from home today and the response back is you arent allowed to work from home and it would be classed as leave??

Im not sure where this line manager has got this information from, but i am not a permanent member of staff on the companies payroll, so why is he treating me like one....?

I have missed out on a number of days (day rate pays) because of this issue....

I also read recently that contractors are not obligated to work in a designated office that they can work anywhere and do all different types of hours.......

I look forward to any help you guys can bring to this!!!!

Thanks,
                Quit.

Client clearly think you're a temp, "sick", "leave"... any HMRC investigation and imo they'll throw you under the bus.

Now, if you can WFH is a contract by contract issue. There are numerous scenarios where WFH is inappropriate. It's not always something suitable for all contractors either, because partners, kids and cats tend to think you're at home, your time belongs to them... hours wise, given I tend to commute each day, I tend to get in early, leave early. I try to overlap hours with people I may need to contact for additional information.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
                  Some managers are stuck in the 90s and have little trust, some don't want contractors to work from home because employees would get upset as they see you as an employee. Some need to see you work and partly due to above (trust). Some is related to actual role.
                  WFH is better than it has ever been in general, but these are the main reasons you will have pushback.

Comment

The work i do is all based on my laptop (given to me by the company)

All systems/softwares and programmes are on the laptop.... i take the laptop home with me everyday; i actually dont need to really be in the office if im completely honest.

Im not saying i want to WFH everyday; but as and when i see fit, i want to text/email the line manager and inform him ‘ill be wfh’ with no issues whatsoever.....

Im a ltd company

Day rate contractor

Through an agency (not an umbrella company)

The issue here is i want to know exactly what the issue is/outset regulation within the company and through hmrc so that i can construct an email to the company themselves).

Comment

Working...
                    X