• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Due to the nature of the role you will have up to date Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Due to the nature of the role you will have up to date Security Clearance

Is this still not allowed by agencies.

In the past there was supposed to be a way to report agencies that stated this.

Spoke to an agent early last month, but could not proceed as role required SC.

Can see the role is still active. When I spoke to agent again saying they could have started the process to put me through SC, agent said I know it is frustrating!!

I have had clearance a few times in the past, and I know it does not stay with the individual, but the organisation that granted it. And can in some cases be transferred by the sponsor.

As has been and as will always be. You are supposed to be able to report companies that do this but it's a waste of time. The client has a requirement to start anytime before the 6 weeks it takes to put someone through (plus cost and risk of not passing) then they have a perfect argument that it's time critical so they aren't breaking any rules asking for only SC people apply.

If you want to know the status of your clearance then speak to the security team at your last gig which is where it will be held. If it's over a year then I wouldn't waste your time.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks

Was many years ago.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

AIUI, SC is only issued on a per-person per-role basis. It can be transferred from one role to another, but does not jump gaps in employment (i.e. a person requiring SC will have to go through SC for each role.)

Paging @malvolio*: Am I wrong in this?

* Yes, those years of you droning on about this have been educational.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          AIUI, SC is only issued on a per-person per-role basis. It can be transferred from one role to another, but does not jump gaps in employment (i.e. a person requiring SC will have to go through SC for each role.)

Paging @malvolio*: Am I wrong in this?

* Yes, those years of you droning on about this have been educational.
          Yes, youre right. It may be transferred for up to a year. I emphasise "may"!
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Yes, youre right. It may be transferred for up to a year. I emphasise "may"!
            Good man. See? You weren't wasting your time.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
              Is this still not allowed by agencies.

In the past there was supposed to be a way to report agencies that stated this.

Spoke to an agent early last month, but could not proceed as role required SC.

Can see the role is still active. When I spoke to agent again saying they could have started the process to put me through SC, agent said I know it is frustrating!!

I have had clearance a few times in the past, and I know it does not stay with the individual, but the organisation that granted it. And can in some cases be transferred by the sponsor.
              According to the Vetting Agency \ Cabinet Office, SC roles are supposed to be open to as many suitable contractors as possible. However, Government Depts get around this by saying it is an 'urgent' requirement. Given most of them are such, that suggests a lack of planning by the very same dept. No surprise there then.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                According to the Vetting Agency \ Cabinet Office, SC roles are supposed to be open to as many suitable contractors as possible. However, Government Depts get around this by saying it is an 'urgent' requirement. Given most of them are such, that suggests a lack of planning by the very same dept. No surprise there then.
                To be fair the guidance defines what kinds of roles are covered by the need for live clearance at the start. Basically it is any where supervision of the worker cannot be provided, usually for technical or analysis roles where the worker has to have access to sensitive material to do the job - sysadmins, DBAs, network managers, intelligence analysts and so on. It also says that this is less than 5% of all roles.

If you're good enough and the client wants you, clearance won't be a problem. Agencies and far too many hiring managers are simply using clearance to limit the numbers of applicants. Which also means that what they see are not necessarily the best candidates, merely people recycled from other secure environments.

And people wonder why public sector programmes fail so often...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                X