• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

With agency now - looking to go direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With agency now - looking to go direct

My contract with the agency states my LTD will need to pay them a specific percentage of the last 12 months bills if I want to go direct with the client.

This is a big client that uses them for various needs.
    Did anybody else had to deal with this scenario?

I see a few options:
    1. Agency lets me go with no payment (on the promise of further business from my Client)
    2. My LTD pays them a reduced fee (after the client Negotiates with them)
    3. My client pays the agency directly to release me.

Any pitfalls to be aware of?

What does your contract state?

Any handshake clause?

Did you opt out of the Agency Regs?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

My contract states that they want my LTD to pay. I was wondering what ways are there around it. Client is on my side.

What's a handshake clause?

Opted out (or no contract)...
      Last edited by zonkkk; 12 March 2020, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
        My contract states that they want my LTD to pay. I was wondering what ways are there around it. Client is on my side.

What's a handshake clause?

Opted out (or no contract)...
        3. Restrictive covenants – An agency can restrict an opted out candidate by contract from working for certain parties following termination, other than through that agency. This is for a period of time which commonly varies between 3-12 months.

Although if it's already in black and white and you signed this, not many options open.

qh

Comment

You can't do anything, you're not big enough. Or pay off the agency and wipe out any benefit you were likely to be looking for.

Ask your client to do it, since they have the leverage. That said, when they look at it properly, they will also refuse.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's quiet so playing devils advocate, lets say OP closes existing company and then opens up a new one so he can go direct with client?

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              It's quiet so playing devils advocate, lets say OP closes existing company and then opens up a new one so he can go direct with client?

qh
              Depends if contract specifically named him... I mean, there would be a risk of agency if they heard of it getting p1ssed off and contacting HMRC but who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                You can't do anything, you're not big enough. Or pay off the agency and wipe out any benefit you were likely to be looking for.
                Ask your client to do it, since they have the leverage. That said, when they look at it properly, they will also refuse.
                Yes, the client said they'll deal with the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                  Depends if contract specifically named him... I mean, there would be a risk of agency if they heard of it getting p1ssed off and contacting HMRC but who knows?
                  It does say the Company or the Representative, so it kind of does 'name' me...

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
                    It does say the Company or the Representative, so it kind of does 'name' me...
                    No, it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X