• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Insider News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Those 2500 will not necessarily be working on ir35 cases only, they may be working on non ir35 related tax frauds. Judging by the number of past ir35 inquiries in the last few years , it seems the risk of getting caught for ir35 is still very low.
    And that's because, until now, it wasn't possible for HMRC to identify potential cases easily - our entire concern is that with agency reporting and the April switch over it will be easily possible to identify potential (possibly 100,000+ potential) cases and pick the ones worth pursuing.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

There's very little we can now do about this. There's no question in my mind that they're looking at this very closely as the Govt want the spending taps on, so I understand that the switcheroos must feel pretty high on the hit list.

However, the roulette wheel is now spinning and the ball is circling fast. There's little good that can come from continued worrying about whether it'll land on red, black or zero. We can no longer alter our bets or take money off the table - we just need to wait and see where the ball lands.

Personally speaking, I've been stressing myself out so much over this the last year and I'm thinking it's now best to put it to the back of mind and respond appropriately if / when I have to. After all, there may be nothing I can do to limit any financial impact now, but I can take steps to prevent further mental health damage.

Good luck everyone

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        And that's because, until now, it wasn't possible for HMRC to identify potential cases easily - our entire concern is that with agency reporting and the April switch over it will be easily possible to identify potential (possibly 100,000+ potential) cases and pick the ones worth pursuing.
        I think they already knew.
        I remember there was a column in tax return to tick whether you have supplied services through a PSC company.

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
          HMRC repetitively said they will not be doing retrospective investigations so isn't it more likely these new staff will be set on those who think they're outside?
          When did they say that?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            do you Really think HMRC cares about public perception of them?
            Without nay prejudice or being judgemental, HMRC's KPI is raising tax. The more money they raise the better their performance. This will then be doled out to various departments who will need to spend it in a way that the public approves of.

If HMRC says that closing this tax loophole has let us tighten the noose on 24000 tax dodgers every year and raise XXXX extra from these scum, will their public perception improve or suffer?

Comment

HMRC repetitively said they will not be doing retrospective investigations so isn't it more likely these new staff will be set on those who think they're outside?

I'd expect them to give it a few years before opening cases on the switcheroos. At least to save them looking like barefaced liars if they start next week.
              Bless.

Comment

I'd expect them to give it a few years before opening cases on the switcheroos. At least to save them looking like barefaced liars if they start next week.
                No. It's a target driven culture and people switching from outside to inside are low hanging fruit so will be targeted by staff to hit the KPIs.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

If that is your line of thinking, and you (or anyone else) are going to base your finances and actions based off that, then you are doomed / waiting for a big nasty surprise.

Secondly, if they can present that they have collected a lot of taxes from who they call tax dodgers (past outside to now inside tax-dodgers), they will earn a lot of respect in public eyes.

Finally, your idea that chasing people who think they are outside post April 6th, is not a valid one - since there is no thinking involved here anymore... its all about client / fee-payer taking that responsibility and issuing a SDS written statement, so the real consultants will be ok if they are doing IR35 outside business.
                  The clients will setup proper WPs and SoWs and there won;t be any point in investigating these.

The correct and obvious thing that HMRC will do is to chase all of the past outside to now-insiders (with the same client), and that will get them loads of cash.. that is for certain!

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
                    The correct and obvious thing that HMRC will do is to chase all of the past outside to now-insiders (with the same client), and that will get them loads of cash.. that is for certain!
                    It's possible. It may even be likely. It's not certain.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
                      It's possible. It may even be likely. It's not certain.
                      We don't know - HMRC have 4 years to trigger things off and the public sector changes were done 3 years ago.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X