• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Insider News

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Insider News

48 hours before Rishi's budget.... HMRC announce a recruitment blitz in Newcastle for what are basically tax evasion investigators. The IR35 Customer Service Unit is based in Newcastle.

20 caseworkers being hired. No previous tax experience required. The training pack includes review of intermediary reports, trawling social media for people switching into inside IR35 roles and a target KPI to retrospectively raise tax of 10 times their salaries every year through successful prosecutions.

Be very afraid.

Yeah saw it shared on LinkedIn.

Although I have yet to see the actual advert. Just people saying there's a recruitment drive.

Also. Just how many cases can 20 newbies get through?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Although I have yet to see the actual advert. Just people saying there's a recruitment drive.

it will be HO Compliance Caseworker, Campaigns & Projects - Civil Service Jobs - GOV.UK and I haven’t looked at the gory details but it’s the same team that employed the developer who told me about the plans back in November 2016.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I am guessing each can do 5 a day based with the right tools. Thats 100 a day. Thats 2000 a month. 24000 a year.

Comment

HMRC repetitively said they will not be doing retrospective investigations so isn't it more likely these new staff will be set on those who think they're outside?

I'd expect them to give it a few years before opening cases on the switcheroos. At least to save them looking like barefaced liars if they start next week.

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
            HMRC repetitively said they will not be doing retrospective investigations so isn't it more likely these new staff will be set on those who think they're outside?

I'd expect them to give it a few years before opening cases on the switcheroos. At least to save them looking like barefaced liars if they start next week.
            do you Really think HMRC cares about public perception of them?

Comment

Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post

read what HMRC actually say and ask why they only cover 1 year and add words like fraud when they have 4 years to do things

Comment

Will 10 more on a team of 2500 make much difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by rossb2 View Post
                  Will 10 more on a team of 2500 make much difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  It's not the 10 I would be worried about it's the 2500 already there - all trying to find the 300-400,000 in tax that they need to find to hit their keep their job target.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    It's not the 10 I would be worried about it's the 2500 already there - all trying to find the 300-400,000 in tax that they need to find to hit their keep their job target.
                    Those 2500 will not necessarily be working on ir35 cases only, they may be working on non ir35 related tax frauds. Judging by the number of past ir35 inquiries in the last few years , it seems the risk of getting caught for ir35 is still very low.

data until 2014 is here
                    HMRC suffers 61% drop in IR35 enquiry yield in 2013-14
                    Last edited by Andy2; 14 March 2020, 09:04.

Comment

Working...
                    X