• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 reform pushed back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    There is lot of scare mongering on these boards by some individuals. Some people like me have refused contract extensions and new contracts by reading this forum. Not sure what they gain out of it.
    People have called the scaremongering out for years saying IR35 isn't that big and look where we are now. Many of the people doing the calling are now coming for help because they didn't take notice.

So some look at the worst that could happen. That's hardly scaremongering. It's an opinion, usually based on some fact or common sense to be fair.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      Well I remember you saying a month ago the "fact" that the IR35 changes would definitely be implemented and arguing with me when I saying it was unjust. Which is now proved to be "not a fact", and was also found to be totally unfair by the lords.
      My apologies for not spotting a global pandemic would make my advice wrong
      Good for them. Will anything change? Will it buggery. Some people are caught, should have been and always will be. That's life.
      You seem to have missed my question with regard to your circumstances, to put your advice into context? Are you inside, outside, or a permie who's opinion is at best irrelevant? I suspect, like an ex-smoker, you are someone who has taken action due to fear over IR35 and now want to lecture everyone on how your decision is the best. I bet you hate it that others have got a years reprieve, which you will miss out on!
      I'm just letting you dig yourself in to it further so you look a bigger idiot if I do feel the need to tell you.

Comment

There is lot of scare mongering on these boards by some individuals. Some people like me have refused contract extensions and new contracts by reading this forum. Not sure what they gain out of it.
        Sorry to hear that, how recently was that? Maybe you could touch base with the company to see if its still available?

I think people like to share misery, and its a very British quality that a lot of people don't like others to do better than them. I've seen it all my life. Personally I like the company of people who achieve, and I find them inspiring. Its also been incredibly beneficial from a work point of view, in that most of my opportunities have come from senior people (directors or owners of businesses) who enjoyed working with me and recommended me , or contacted me when they change roles.

Comment

Very true. Circumstances differ case by case. IR35 and status determinations, especially 'risk-averse' client determinations, are not always accurate. With this ir35 postponement, standard sensible principles should apply for instance, by getting your contract reviewed by independent ir35 experts.

Comment

I think people like to share misery, and its a very British quality that a lot of people don't like others to do better than them. I've seen it all my life. Personally I like the company of people who achieve, and I find them inspiring. Its also been incredibly beneficial from a work point of view, in that most of my opportunities have come from senior people (directors or owners of businesses) who enjoyed working with me and recommended me , or contacted me when they change roles.
            100% agree with this!

Comment

Interesting comments, and I understand your point of view, but the majority come here and ask the question, then argue the toss against the advice given. What do you want the regulars to say? Deny that there's any risk?

If you were genuinely running a business through your LtdCo, why would you toss that away and accept a new contract or extension that said you weren't? And THIS is exactly what Hector will be looking for.

All of this is pretty irrelevent anyway, the fact remains that Hector runs the show, regardless of whether the changes have been delayed or not, IR35 still applies, the fact that you have been given an inside SDS just adds further evidence to the investigation and more tax to be collected, should you continue as outside.

Hector can be considered a strain of coronavirus. Once caught it will be very difficult to get rid of it, and when you finally do there's a real chance you will become re-infected again and again, with lasting permanent damage.

You have a choice. Carry on and risk getting caught, or go and find an easier life elsewhere.

There are plenty of threads in the HMRC Scheme Enquiries forum with members unable to shake off the repeated attempts by Hector to drain you of all your life savings.

A few will be lucky and have the money and resources to fight them off, but those who don't will be rich pickings, especially with the economy down the toilet and the government needing to increase revenue to pay for social security.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                My apologies for not spotting a global pandemic would make my advice wrong
                Good for them. Will anything change? Will it buggery. Some people are caught, should have been and always will be. That's life.

I'm just letting you dig yourself in to it further so you look a bigger idiot if I do feel the need to tell you.
                Yes you hiding your circumstances, makes me look silly. Sure it does.

"Some people are caught, should have been and always will be."

That's your opinion, which is not factual. The vast majority of cases HMRC took to court, they lost. So confident of this are insurers like QDOS, that they offer insurance against the risk for a couple of hundred. But you know better, strangely.

You struck me as a bore 10 years ago, and you have not improved. Perhaps ask your accountant what they think of that?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  No - the individual may now determine that they are not
                  The individual's opinion is now in contradiction to the client's opinion.
                  Fighting a case with HMRC without the client's backing is not wise IMO...
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yes you hiding your circumstances, makes me look silly. Sure it does.
                    Kinda does when you've called me out a few times and got it completely wrong. I'm not hiding them either. I really don't see what difference it makes. You think it does because I'm what you said. But you are wrong so obviously it doesn't make a difference.
                    "Some people are caught, should have been and always will be."

That's your opinion, which is not factual. The vast majority of cases HMRC took to court, they lost. So confident of this are insurers like QDOS, that they offer insurance against the risk for a couple of hundred. But you know better, strangely.

You struck me as a bore 10 years ago, and you have not improved. Perhaps ask your accountant what they think of that?
                    Nope. It's pretty factual. Clients waking up and giving SDSs that are completely the opposite the what the contractor thinks with clear reasons as to why. It's happened, it's there on paper. Only an idiot would go back outside if they've a clear determination.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      The individual's opinion is now in contradiction to the client's opinion.
                      Fighting a case with HMRC without the client's backing is not wise IMO...
                      But what does the contract and working procedures say? This is as valid as it always was.

Comment

Working...
                      X