• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From extended to Benched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    So my dilemma

Still waiting on confirmation but if my project does get paused, i have 2 options:

1) Back on the bench
    2)They are happy to keep me on helping out on other things (i.e. IT Support) as perm numbers are dwindling

Problem is...Option 2 puts me squarely inside of IR35

What you would guys do?

We dont know how long COVID-19 is going to be around or how long its going to take the UK to get back on its feet. Do I risk going on the bench for an unknown amount of time or do I stay on as a BAU support, inside of IR35 and risk Hector calling?
    Do you think, given the current climate they would care/understand?

(For what its worth I am working in the NHS).
    I'd want option two set up as FTC - 3 months with a month rolling notice on both sides. Means they can treat you like a perm and you can behave like one, especially if everything is worded very differently and there's no CEST tool involved. I'd suggest it's a better option than going on an Inside contract, with HMRC sharpening their sticks ready for next April.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Just had the call I was dreading.

Was due a 6 month extension from April 5. April 5 will now be my last day

Comment

Originally posted by The Janter Effect View Post
        Just had the call I was dreading.

Was due a 6 month extension from April 5. April 5 will now be my last day
        Sorry to hear that mate.

Comment

So my dilemma

Still waiting on confirmation but if my project does get paused, i have 2 options:

1) Back on the bench
          2)They are happy to keep me on helping out on other things (i.e. IT Support) as perm numbers are dwindling

Problem is...Option 2 puts me squarely inside of IR35

What you would guys do?

We dont know how long COVID-19 is going to be around or how long its going to take the UK to get back on its feet. Do I risk going on the bench for an unknown amount of time or do I stay on as a BAU support, inside of IR35 and risk Hector calling?
          Do you think, given the current climate they would care/understand?

(For what its worth I am working in the NHS).
          So for an update.
          Project is officially on pause, all projects are on pause. For all contractors it means if they want to stay on they can but get moved to do other work as the perm numbers are down.

For me it means it means I am going to do 2 days on my current project (winding down, finishing documentation) and 3 days helping out with BAU Support.
          I have asked my agency to issue me with a new contract for the 3 days. Completely different role (IT Support Engineer) and to run it inside of IR35.
          Hopefully that should suffice.

Something promising is that all NHS Trusts have been asked to provide COVID-19 expenses. So this time that I am doing IT support is being put through via that. This means that when the project does start up...they can keep me on on the original budget for the same length of time.

Comment

So for an update.
            Project is officially on pause, all projects are on pause. For all contractors it means if they want to stay on they can but get moved to do other work as the perm numbers are down.
            Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
            For me it means it means I am going to do 2 days on my current project (winding down, finishing documentation) and 3 days helping out with BAU Support.
            I have asked my agency to issue me with a new contract for the 3 days. Completely different role (IT Support Engineer) and to run it inside of IR35.
            Hopefully that should suffice.
            Sounds very sensible. Well saved sir.
            Something promising is that all NHS Trusts have been asked to provide COVID-19 expenses. So this time that I am doing IT support is being put through via that. This means that when the project does start up...they can keep me on on the original budget for the same length of time.
            Sweet
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No something far worse...

Boss said no more extensions on my 3+ year gig after current contract ends (June). But now all the permies have been furloughed so i'm holding the fort all by myself whilst they get a 2 month paid holiday.

Last edited by Robinho; 1 April 2020, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                No something far worse...

Boss said no more extensions on my 3+ year gig after current contract ends (June). But now all the permies have been furloughed so i'm holding the fort all by myself whilst they get a 2 month paid holiday.

Ask for a rise

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Ask for a rise

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  +1
                  Should be a large one to cover costs of a possible investigation as you are switching to BAU work, unless you have a new contract to cover it?
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                  X