• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ending a contract early - Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yes, it is a FTC as a replacement for someone's maternity cover. I have spoken with the Project Director and few other people at the client location to confirm the state of the project and that it is indeed a role which is absolutely necessary and not having this role would lead to severe issues for them as a company.

Comment

Hmm, current gig not working out and got another offer.

No brainer. Leave and take it.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ManiAnanth View Post
        Oh yes, it is a FTC as a replacement for someone's maternity cover. I have spoken with the Project Director and few other people at the client location to confirm the state of the project and that it is indeed a role which is absolutely necessary and not having this role would lead to severe issues for them as a company.
        Just because the role won't be going away doesn't mean it's a sure thing. They might get someone else to do it cheaper or use it to give work to a permie who doesn't have any work currently.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
          Just because the role won't be going away doesn't mean it's a sure thing. They might get someone else to do it cheaper or use it to give work to a permie who doesn't have any work currently.
          Thanks, but the exact words of the Project Manager about 3 weeks ago was "I am not happy. Compared to the rest of the team...You are a bloody expensive contractor and if you are not delivering, you will be out of the door", so the same thing of getting someone else to do it cheaper or use it to give work to a permie who doesn't have any work currently can all be still happen in this gig too. :-)

Sure, the known devil is better than an unknown one etc., etc., but when someone says you will be out of the door, it is an ominous sign...not to mention other signs such as I am being shut out of other team meetings etc.,

Of course, all of this might be an over-reaction on my side too...who knows?!

Comment

Thanks, but the exact words of the Project Manager about 3 weeks ago was "I am not happy. Compared to the rest of the team...You are a bloody expensive contractor and if you are not delivering, you will be out of the door", so the same thing of getting someone else to do it cheaper or use it to give work to a permie who doesn't have any work currently can all be still happen in this gig too. :-)

Sure, the known devil is better than an unknown one etc., etc., but when someone says you will be out of the door, it is an ominous sign...not to mention other signs such as I am being shut out of other team meetings etc.,

If the PM was saying he's not happy about your performance then you are lucky to still be there.

Comment

I don't think it's an overreaction. If you feel like they are getting ready to drop you, then they are getting ready to drop you.

Comment

If the PM was saying he's not happy about your performance then you are lucky to still be there.
                Mighty insensitive, but I have to thank COVID-19 for that?

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  I don't think it's an overreaction. If you feel like they are getting ready to drop you, then they are getting ready to drop you.
                  Yup, going with my gut. As someone said, no one can be sure...but, I will come back in a year's time and let you know if the decision was the right one or not.

Comment

Shaft them before they shaft you is my mantra. As soon as a PM says something so utterly unprofessional, update CV and get the hell out of dodge.

Comment

Indeed I would have binned him already

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X