• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living in UK, work in Sweden

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in UK, work in Sweden

Hi all, would like to get some advise or info on the following scenario:
    I'm living in the UK, doing contract work under my own Ltd.
    Currently looking at a job offer from a Swedish company. This would be for a permanent role, working part remote (from the UK) and part on-site in Sweden. Offer & work does look interesting but would like some advise/info on how to deal with:
    HMRC (I assume I would be taxed in Sweden as well)
    National Insurance
    Health Insurance (part of the package but do I try to get them to pay for my UK health insurance instead?)

Thanks
    Mix

Serious question, how easy is it going to be to get to Sweden currently?
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

No you would be taxed in the country you spend the most time in.

Comment

I really can't stop reading the title as Living in UK, work in Swindon.

But it really depends on where you will be resident and how you will be paid.

This is from 2014 but may be of help:
        Sweden – Thinking Beyond Borders - KPMG Global

Comment

Originally posted by MixBix View Post
          Hi all, would like to get some advise or info on the following scenario:
          I'm living in the UK, doing contract work under my own Ltd.
          Currently looking at a job offer from a Swedish company. This would be for a permanent role, working part remote (from the UK) and part on-site in Sweden. Offer & work does look interesting but would like some advise/info on how to deal with:
          National Insurance
          Health Insurance (part of the package but do I try to get them to pay for my UK health insurance instead?)

Thanks
          Mix
          What's your family situation?

I've been registered in multiple countries and still am now.

If you have children and a partner then you could do worse than move to Sweden permanently for a couple of years.

Children are well educated, speak three or four languages and the life lesson will be invaluable to them. Given the disorganised chaos of the UK, which I'm sure hasn't passed you by, the next few years are going to be very bizarre here.

Once coronavirus has passed over my family and I will be emigrating too, destination country is yet to be decided but Sweden is in the top three.

(The automatic reaction of the English is to throw insults at those saying elsewhere is better than here, but ultimately these are usually the same people who haven't done this themselves and so it is just a defense mechanism.)

If you're on your own and want to fly back and forwards that is up to you, but it will get tiring quickly. Sweden has a lot to offer the single person and, given they aren't even locked down to anywhere near the same extent as the UK now, if you're going to make the move as a single person I would do that sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Serious question, how easy is it going to be to get to Sweden currently?
            ATM it is not but that is not stopping companies from hiring. Initial work might all be done remotely from the UK and once 'Corona' measures have eased the remote/on-site agreement would be back on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I really can't stop reading the title as Living in UK, work in Swindon.

But it really depends on where you will be resident and how you will be paid.

This is from 2014 but may be of help:
              Sweden – Thinking Beyond Borders - KPMG Global

Thanks, will have a good look at that web page.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                What's your family situation?

I've been registered in multiple countries and still am now.

If you have children and a partner then you could do worse than move to Sweden permanently for a couple of years.

Children are well educated, speak three or four languages and the life lesson will be invaluable to them. Given the disorganised chaos of the UK, which I'm sure hasn't passed you by, the next few years are going to be very bizarre here.

Once coronavirus has passed over my family and I will be emigrating too, destination country is yet to be decided but Sweden is in the top three.

(The automatic reaction of the English is to throw insults at those saying elsewhere is better than here, but ultimately these are usually the same people who haven't done this themselves and so it is just a defense mechanism.)

If you're on your own and want to fly back and forwards that is up to you, but it will get tiring quickly. Sweden has a lot to offer the single person and, given they aren't even locked down to anywhere near the same extent as the UK now, if you're going to make the move as a single person I would do that sooner rather than later.
                Thanks. The travel back and forth might indeed become an issue. Not adverse of moving countries as we have done that before but currently at a phase we're I want to make sure that both work and country are the right choice before pulling up stumps.

Comment

If you do some of the work in the UK then that should be taxed in the UK. You really need a split contract. One for Sweden and one for the work remotely in the UK.

You need to be careful. If you are paying tax in Sweden and very little in the UK at some point it will probably be queried by HMRC. A routine question could well be to confirm that the work you do is in Sweden. If they find out you work remotely in the UK then you are in trouble. They may well want to proof of travel, so it will be clear that you're not always in Sweden.

I suggest you contact Sue at IPAY, she gives great advice on working in Europe see:

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ief-guide.html

You need to get the tax right, the query from HMRC may come after several years of working for this company, so the liability could be potentially quite significant if you get it wrong.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X