• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting out as contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    ... What we do is contracting ...
    Many a construction worker would disagree with that statement!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Many a construction worker would disagree with that statement!
      Fair comment. And that's actually why PCG didn't really get anywhere with IR35 in the early days; they hadn't twigged what "contractor" meant to a lot of people.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Give it a go, you'll be battling adversity rain or shine. There are roles and there's always something for naysayers to complain about.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Totally this.... Who in their right mind would go contracting right now..
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
            Well if contracting hadnt hit rockbottom before it has now.....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob283 View Post
              Hi I am considering starting out as programme or project manager on contracting basis. I wondered what those in the £billion pound industry think about the current climate of contracting. Is this still a wise choice considering IR35 and the changes proposed. Or would I be better taking up permanent position. any general advise or considered opinions are greatly appreciated
              Absolutely, I could not think of a better time to go contracting could you? All we are missing are a few in bound asteroids, ICBMs and perhaps Godzilla and we are all set for a fill your boots boom time for end of days contracting.

Top tip don't lose your contract, ever.

There might be a problem getting another one.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                Absolutely, I could not think of a better time to go contracting could you? All we are missing are a few in bound asteroids, ICBMs and perhaps Godzilla and we are all set for a fill your boots boom time for end of days contracting.

Top tip don't lose your contract, ever.

There might be a problem getting another one.
                ..and always have a PlanB.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Devil's advocate - if you get a 12-month Inside IR35 contract as your first ever contract right now, it could be the best time to start contracting. If you live within commuting distance of London.

Why, I hear the seasoned contractors ask. Well, put simply, because of you lot. A newbie will not have known about the tax breaks and the huge take home pay; they'll be very happy with a £65k in-the-pocket return from a £500/day contract. It's probably the same net as they have as gross in a permie job that they've just been binned off from. They don't need to worry about tax returns, VAT, QDOS reviews, retaining outside IR35 evidence, haggling over working practices, accountants, etc. - just put the money in their personal account and happy days. Just being a contingent worker with no strings.

If only there were any contracts about, it would be a fantastic time for newbie to go contracting!!!
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Devil's advocate - if you get a 12-month Inside IR35 contract as your first ever contract right now, it could be the best time to start contracting. If you live within commuting distance of London.

Why, I hear the seasoned contractors ask. Well, put simply, because of you lot. A newbie will not have known about the tax breaks and the huge take home pay; they'll be very happy with a £65k in-the-pocket return from a £500/day contract. It's probably the same net as they have as gross in a permie job that they've just been binned off from. They don't need to worry about tax returns, VAT, QDOS reviews, retaining outside IR35 evidence, haggling over working practices, accountants, etc. - just put the money in their personal account and happy days. Just being a contingent worker with no strings.

If only there were any contracts about, it would be a fantastic time for newbie to go contracting!!!
                    Actually I kind of agree. I know plenty of people who could be well outside Ir35 but who work through an umbrella voluntarily and trade the reduced take home for an easy life.

But if you've been around a while - and I started before IR35 - then you have an expectation of your take home percentage and gear your rates around that.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      Give it a go, you'll be battling adversity rain or shine. There are roles and there's always something for naysayers to complain about.
                      The optimism is great, however there just isn’t the supply for contracting roles at the moment so you’re going to struggle to get any traction.

For that reason going contracting right now is irrational as you’ll find better permanent propositions right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X