• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting out as contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting out as contractor

Hi I am considering starting out as programme or project manager on contracting basis. I wondered what those in the £billion pound industry think about the current climate of contracting. Is this still a wise choice considering IR35 and the changes proposed. Or would I be better taking up permanent position. any general advise or considered opinions are greatly appreciated

It's always a bad time. It's always a good time. But at the moment, it seems like a really bad time...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is this a serious question?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob283 View Post
        Hi I am considering starting out as programme or project manager on contracting basis. I wondered what those in the £billion pound industry think about the current climate of contracting. Is this still a wise choice considering IR35 and the changes proposed. Or would I be better taking up permanent position. any general advise or considered opinions are greatly appreciated
        You would be better trying to keep your current job at the moment. If you haven't got one just take the first thing that comes along.

The world is very different from how it was a month ago no matter what you may think.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Is this a serious question?
          Totally this.... Who in their right mind would go contracting right now. Just asking that question alone makes me think they really don't have a clue what contracting is.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Quite apart from starting contrating now, which is possibly a silly idea anyway, what exactly are you planning on selling? Programming and PM work are entirely different things, need different skills and specific expertise and I'm guessing you don't have loads of expereince of either one.

For now don't jump until you really know what you are doing and can offer the market something they need.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Quite apart from starting contrating now, which is possibly a silly idea anyway, what exactly are you planning on selling? Programming and PM work are entirely different things, need different skills and specific expertise and I'm guessing you don't have loads of expereince of either one.

For now don't jump until you really know what you are doing and can offer the market something they need.
              "programme or project manager"

Comment

Originally posted by Rob283 View Post
                When you say you're considering starting out, do you mean you've been offered a contract? If so, assess the stability of the client and the project and decide via that.

Despite the gloom merchants above, there's still opportunities and money to be made in the right fields.

If you don't have a contract offer...... Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  "programme or project manager"
                  Picky picky…

OK, slight reading failure there. Point still applies though, no point going contracting unless you are very clear what it is you're selling. Programme manager is a different skillset to project manager, and both rely on you having evidence of serious delivery.

Also, it's also fair to add that with all the killed off projects recently there are an awful lot of good, experienced PMs (of both persuasions) on the market.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    OK, slight reading failure there. Point still applies though, no point going contracting unless you are very clear what it is you're selling. Programme manager is a different skillset to project manager, and both rely on you having evidence of serious delivery.

Also, it's also fair to add that with all the killed off projects recently there are an awful lot of good, experienced PMs (of both persuasions) on the market.
                    Agreed, unless the OP is currently out of work, then they'd be daft to leave some level of certainty and start contracting.

Comment

Working...
                    X