• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing jobs (possibility)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing jobs (possibility)

Hi all,

It has been a while since my last post here...

Currently working on a perm position and negotiating with another company (also perm).

Do you guys think it would make sense to change roles during these difficult times (albeit perm to perm)??? Or should I stay put until we find out (whether we will be alive) what will happen to the World in economic terms???

Originally posted by rb51 View Post
    Hi all,

Currently working on a perm position and negotiating with another company (also perm).

Do you guys think it would make sense to change roles during these difficult times (albeit perm to perm)??? Or should I stay put until we find out (whether we will be alive) what will happen to the World in economic terms???
    The risk is that you resign and then things change and your new job is put on hold. There was a letter in the Telegraph yesterday about just that were the response was basically - bad luck
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi all,

Depends on the health of both companies, what they do, potential for ongoing business, how long you have been at your current perm job etc.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Hi all,

OK, this depends a lot on the details.

Scenario 1: You resign, the new job is put on hold and now you are without a job. How safe is the industry in which you are taking up the new job? How safe is the industry in which you are currently placed? How good is the financial health of your current employer? How good is the financial health of your prospective employer? Remember, during these times everything will change in a week's time or in a day's time. I have a colleague who is a permi-tractor and have been at the same gig for 8 years (eek!) and she was certain of getting the contract renewed last week. Friday, CFO sends an email that wherever letters haven't been issued put everything on hold and freeze all new hiring!

Scenario 2: You do not take up the new job, you do not resign, your current employer lets go of you due to reduction in head count. You are without a job. However, you get a redundancy package / severance package etc., How much is this?

Scenario 3: You take up the new job, you are happy as they are in one of the business which will thrive during these times (health insurance - ha ha ha!) and you are getting a lot of money and you are enjoying the work.

Comment

Begone foul permie knave.

Have you tried asking on permieuk.com?

Not having a clue what you do and the situation at each company I am not sure how we are supposed to have a clue to be honest.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 3 April 2020, 10:11.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Stick.
              tulip or bust?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

@northernladuk and others: Can someone please point to where I can find the meaning of tulips in these forums? Do we have a sticky post for the same? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by MagicMovies View Post
                  @northernladuk and others: Can someone please point to where I can find the meaning of tulips in these forums? Do we have a sticky post for the same? :-)
                  Tulip is the word that the swear filter puts instead of sh1t.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Tulip is the word that the swear filter puts instead of sh1t.
                    Really? Oh man! I was hoping for a trip down the history lane to the Tulip Contracts.

Mighty disappointed. Cries unconsolably...

Comment

Working...
                    X