Biting The Bullet Biting The Bullet
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 68
  1. #1

    More time posting than coding

    l35kee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    353

    Default Biting The Bullet

    So, had a 3 month extension on the table as well as a permie position. £75k vs £450, BA up north. Looks like I'll probably take it.

    Struggled with the decision, the turning point was browsing LinkedIn and seeing quite a lot of (good) former colleagues having lost their contract or permie role and struggling to get anything.

    Obviously going to be speaking to my account, but my intention is to see out this financial year and see what the market looks like in 12 months.

    Any of you guys done anything similar before? I imagine it's better to keep the company open?

  2. #2

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,544

    Default

    You could keep the company open as it's still viable to put expenses through it that you would ordinarily incur for its day to day operation.

    It's fine to have no revenue and post a loss for the year.

    I would definitely keep my company open for a year to see how things pan out before deciding whether to go dormant or shut up shop completely. With the latter you need to be sure that you don't fall foul of phoenixing if you decide to open a new company within two years. I'm not sure how you evidence things to stay on the right side of the rules as I've never done it.

  3. #3

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    11,456

    Default

    Take the permie job, deregister for VAT once you've completed your probation period and get your accountant to set your company as dormant.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  4. #4

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Take the permie job, deregister for VAT once you've completed your probation period and get your accountant to set your company as dormant.
    I would deregister for VAT and PAYE but I wouldn't go dormant as I'd still put some expenses through the company

  5. #5

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    24,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l35kee View Post
    So, had a 3 month extension on the table as well as a permie position. £75k vs £450, BA up north. Looks like I'll probably take it.

    Struggled with the decision, the turning point was browsing LinkedIn and seeing quite a lot of (good) former colleagues having lost their contract or permie role and struggling to get anything.

    Obviously going to be speaking to my account, but my intention is to see out this financial year and see what the market looks like in 12 months.

    Any of you guys done anything similar before? I imagine it's better to keep the company open?
    Looks like you're going to economically survive the Apocalypse. Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  6. #6

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I would deregister for VAT and PAYE but I wouldn't go dormant as I'd still put some expenses through the company
    What kind of expenses? Examples...

  7. #7

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    24,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrucku View Post
    What kind of expenses? Examples...
    Miscellaneous sundries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  8. #8

    Fingers like lightning

    gables's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l35kee View Post
    So, had a 3 month extension on the table as well as a permie position. £75k vs £450, BA up north. Looks like I'll probably take it.

    Struggled with the decision, the turning point was browsing LinkedIn and seeing quite a lot of (good) former colleagues having lost their contract or permie role and struggling to get anything.

    Obviously going to be speaking to my account, but my intention is to see out this financial year and see what the market looks like in 12 months.

    Any of you guys done anything similar before? I imagine it's better to keep the company open?
    Yep, accepted job offer Xmas eve and started January 20th, still 1 week probation left, wfh all the time now - feel a bit lucky.

  9. #9

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrucku View Post
    What kind of expenses? Examples...
    Mobile phone is invoiced to and directly paid by my company. Annual software licenses the same.

    Insurances would need to be maintained.

  10. #10

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    29,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrucku View Post
    What kind of expenses? Examples...
    Insurances - check your contracts for any clauses where if you don't maintain insurance for a certain time period liability can be transferred to you

    Software licenses

    Accountant

    Business Broadband and Mobile phone contracts - you can't just end these if you are still in the minimum period without paying up.

    Misc - anything else such as filing your company's existence at Companies House.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •