• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COVID-19 Remote Interviews/Gigs: 'MS Teams', Skype Or Something Else ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    It's actually not - my go to none technical people (i.e. my wife and parents) all found teams easier to use
    The only one I've managed to get my Mum using is whereby. Even then I had to stop her downloading and printing a manual so that she could find the '/' key (actually I outsourced that to my brother)/

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      The only one I've managed to get my Mum using is whereby. Even then I had to stop her downloading and printing a manual so that she could find the '/' key (actually I outsourced that to my brother)/
      Substitution - great for any future IR35 investigation! Make sure you have it documented.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Substitution - great for any future IR35 investigation! Make sure you have it documented.
        Outsourcing is not substitution :
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a Zoom Pro account now, when I just needed something basic and free I used https://whereby.com/
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            Interview next week. Hooray! I am expecting the familiar "it will be on Skype", meaning Skype for business.

Now I have Skype personal, and Zoom. But my heart sinks when they say "Skype for business" because (a) all my home systems are Linux and (b) I don't have Office 365 or a SFB business account. I can run Windows in a VM though, so purchasing is a possibility.

Clinging to the faint hope that, as it is a Unix systems administration role, they will be impressed that I run entirely on Linux. ("Wow this guy must know Linux, he uses it 24/7!"). Or will it be "what a dolt! He can't even use his own PC!"

Unless they agree to Zoom, I'll be forking out £60.
            For the record, no purchase is needed to join a Skype for Business meeting from Linux. I ran a virtual windows 10 machine and within that, opened up the invitation email in Firefox->Outlook.com. Expand the event by clicking the double arrow head. The "Join Skype Meeting" is revealed. Click it and the Skype web app downloads and runs (within the Windows VM, it isn't available for Linux). Hey presto you are in the meeting. Make sure windows permissions allow access to the camera and mike, eg. by running a basic recording/camera app.

Comment

YG1 has audio calls working from the Raspberry Pi now. Better than schoolwork.

Comment

Working...
              X