• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COVID-19 Remote Interviews/Gigs: 'MS Teams', Skype Or Something Else ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COVID-19 Remote Interviews/Gigs: 'MS Teams', Skype Or Something Else ?

Saw in a recent contract job post "Interviews via MS Teams"

Is 'MS Teams' now becoming preferred software for remote interviews/gigs ?
    or is it still Skype/TeamViewer/something else ?

My last gig was interview by MS Teams and that was before Coronavirus.

It will most likely depend on what tool the clientco uses internally.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      My last gig was interview by MS Teams and that was before Coronavirus.

It will most likely depend on what tool the clientco uses internally.
      +1

Teams is of course an enhanced version of Skype for Business (moved to new hardware) with a hidden sharepoint backend.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        +1

Teams is of course an enhanced version of Skype for Business (moved to new hardware) with a hidden sharepoint backend.

and the prize for the most massive oversimplification of the month goes to eek....
        O365 groups, Skype, SharePoint Online, Streams and OneDrive (yeah I know that's SPO) are components under the hood. Plus all the other goodies.
        Can you guess what I'm deploying for two clients right now?

But to answer the original question, yes Teams is becoming the de rigeur collaboration platform. It was anyway but CV is simply adding momentum.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          and the prize for the most massive oversimplification of the month goes to eek....
          O365 groups, Skype, SharePoint Online, Streams and OneDrive (yeah I know that's SPO) are components under the hood. Plus all the other goodies.
          Can you guess what I'm deploying for two clients right now?

But to answer the original question, yes Teams is becoming the de rigeur collaboration platform. It was anyway but CV is simply adding momentum.
          So it's a Security group with an exchange account, Skype for business, Sharepoint, a tool derived from skype for business and a tool derived from Sharepoint.

Yes it was a simplification but not a massive one considering how much Office 365 groups was hated by everyone forced to use it while Sharepoint was loved for reasons I don't understand.

But my description served for the year when I wore an MS hat and people asked me about Teams. And the product owner didn't scream at the description in the way my description of PowerApps as MS Access for the 21st century annoys the PowerApps product owner so I will stick to it.

Comment

Teams is replacing Skype for business. Skype for business is being retired July 2021.
            So most businesses have already moved to teams over Skype.

Comment

Zoom is gaining ground rapidly. I never liked Skype but Teams seems even worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Zoom took over for all interviews and non-confidential use because it is so easy to use. I've had Skype and Teams meetings fail quite often in the past. If IT staff can't use them effectively what chance has everyone else got?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                Zoom is gaining ground rapidly. I never liked Skype but Teams seems even worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Zoom took over for all interviews and non-confidential use because it is so easy to use. I've had Skype and Teams meetings fail quite often in the past. If IT staff can't use them effectively what chance has everyone else got?
                It's actually not - my go to none technical people (i.e. my wife and parents) all found teams easier to use

Comment

Gooogle hangouts for us

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    It's funny how an individuals view of the world is used by them to paint the whole world in a colour not recognisable to others. It reminds me of when someone says "how can you not have seen that, it was all over social media!!" without realising what they are consuming is largely self-selected content.

In my view of the world, Zoom is the new toy in town. I've had a very limited number of clients using Teams.

That's not necessarily borne out by market share, however:

Top 10 Collaboration Software Vendors, Market Size and Market Forecast 2018-2023
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 7 April 2020, 07:30.

Comment

Working...
                    X