• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 contracts simultaneously

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Did the clients know and were OK with it or did you just fudge it based on deliverables? We're they expecting 40 hours from you so ended up billing 100 hours a week?

I can see how it works nicely if you've got three clients that are aware and flexible and don't expect a 40 hour billing. Creaming it from 2.5 clients that want an FTE each just because they are remote due to the situation is taking the piss surely?
    I never told them our relationship wasn't exclusive; it was in the contracts that I was free to take on other work. I was available for meetings, which was easy to schedule, and I had sensible managment who cared about the work getting done rather than presenteeism.

I wasn't taking the piss. They knew what they were paying and what they were getting and were happy with both. I still output more than the permies on the projects so who was being ripped off?

Not sure why you're so anti juggling concurrent clients and why you assume that the client is being robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Not sure why you're so anti juggling concurrent clients and why you assume that the client is being robbed.
      Probably too long spent on here I guess.

I just can't help thinking that people with the wherewithal to pull these gigs off aren't the ones that need to ask about them. One being a brolly also looks very weird but could quite possibly be kosher in these times.

But could also be I'm just a miserable barsteward with a tiny willy.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Probably too long spent on here I guess.

I just can't help thinking that people with the wherewithal to pull these gigs off aren't the ones that need to ask about them. One being a brolly also looks very weird but could quite possibly be kosher in these times.

But could also be I'm just a miserable barsteward with a tiny willy.
        You never got it out at Christmas so I didn't get have a giggle

Comment

Classic permie in disguise envy of true small business contractors

Comment

Originally posted by Samm View Post
            I have secured 2 contracts, one via my limited company, the other via umbrella. I was headhunted today for a third contract who are flexible with regards to hours as it is part time - this one will be through the companies payroll.

What would be the implications of taking on all 3 contracts at once? Is it even worth carrying out the 3rd contract due to extra tax?

I do think it is wise to take all offers as who knows what the future entails.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!
            Why not do all three remotely from a tax free country to maximize money even more

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Permie thinking. None of my clients need to know or care if I'm working for other clients, so long as I am delivering to my contract(s) and not breaking that contract when working for other clients.

Comment

It's not really permie thinking but do appreciate why everyone is saying that.

What if one of the gigs is so busy he can't do it in half the time? We don't even know what he does. I've never had a gig I could do i half the time. If the client has anything about them they will give him enough work to justify the money. Not every client is daft enough to manage their contractors and not every contractor is good enough to do half the work for the same money.

I appreciate this is how contracting should work but the reality is very different in many cases.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did the clients know and were OK with it or did you just fudge it based on deliverables? We're they expecting 40 hours from you so ended up billing 100 hours a week?

I can see how it works nicely if you've got three clients that are aware and flexible and don't expect a 40 hour billing. Creaming it from 2.5 clients that want an FTE each just because they are remote due to the situation is taking the piss surely?
                  + IR35 issues.

Expect moves you closer to MoO. If ladymuck had any sense (and she does give that impression) then it will be deliverable based. As a client, if I offer out to tender a deliverable to be completed in a timeframe at a price, then if someone delivers that, I'm happy. If they have a complex code generator that they can leverage that they've built themselves and can do 40 hours of work in 20, then fair play to them. That's none of my business, I just want my deliverable to an acceptable standard. Are you brave enough to get your wife to wash the dishes *and* tell her how to do it?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Creaming it from 2.5 clients that want an FTE each just because they are remote due to the situation is taking the piss surely?
                    It's what the offshore companies do. 100 workers filling 400 FTE roles. Which is why they push back at every opportunity, and they have at least 24 hour response times.

I've only every worked once for a client that cared about actual hours worked, even when ostensibly accounting hourly for time. That client had a 45 week and insisted on clocking in, clocking off. Stupid really, as just increased presenteeism, not work accomplished. Kit Kat anyone?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Great example of contractor theory vs contractor practise in this thread
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X