• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Economic Crisis & Rate Reduction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    Do ye think there'll be imminent salary reductions for those who went perm?
    Yeah. 80% but they don’t have to work.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      In these times I think that's a bit of a stupid thing to say. Market is the market, you've got to bend and flex. Generally I'd kind of agree to not being rolled over without some push back where possible but the world is turning to absolute ratchit out there so I think that's being a bit ridiculous to sit on your moral horse over 30% in these times.
      I spent 5 months out of work and I'd have snapped someone's arm off for the 400 even if I knew it was a 600 quid. As long as it took me through the crap I can make it back in the rest of my career after. Would I have thrown 40k down the toilet over the time off just to prove a point? No I wouldn't and nor would any sane person.

I know you'd take it if you were ever in that situation though so just saying like.

And wage slave? Your wage doesn't change. 700 quid or so a month whatever happens so how can you be a slave to that?
      Well everyone’s circumstances are different. But if I’m doing the same work then I’m the same value.
      If the client is genuinely in financial hardship, and not just trying it on due to the market, then perhaps I’d consider some flexibility. But if it was just ‘please accept a rate cut’ then I’m not convinced. It’s not like they could get someone to replace me at a reduced rate and be able to continue delivery uninterrupted.
      If paying me the same is their best cost, then digging in my heels is the right decision.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Well everyone’s circumstances are different. But if I’m doing the same work then I’m the same value.
        If the client is genuinely in financial hardship, and not just trying it on due to the market, then perhaps I’d consider some flexibility. But if it was just ‘please accept a rate cut’ then I’m not convinced. It’s not like they could get someone to replace me at a reduced rate and be able to continue delivery uninterrupted.
        If paying me the same is their best cost, then digging in my heels is the right decision.
        That's fair enough.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Just work 3 and bill them for 5. Everyone thinks it's OK.
          Only when you get 5 days worth of work done in 3. Stop sulking.

Originally posted by simes View Post
          Problem with that is that while you're working x days, the rest of the business works the five days. There will be 'week - x days' of stuff to do on the day you return.
          Short working weeks is always an option for companies wishing to save money, but not lose workers. Unless a project is urgent, there's no real need for everyone to do five days.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yeah. 80% but they don’t have to work.
            It's only 80% if they're on £30k or less

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Only when you get 5 days worth of work done in 3. Stop sulking.

Short working weeks is always an option for companies wishing to save money, but not lose workers. Unless a project is urgent, there's no real need for everyone to do five days.
              Could you tell that to every company who uses agencies to employ contractors. Would happily take a 2-3 day a week contract to get money coming in but I can’t work 5 day weeks as too much else needs to be done
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

he who dares wins.....

If you take a cut of that much you're undervaluing yourself. I'd rather be on the bench for a year (albeit that's unlikely). I'm not in this game to be a wage slave.
                Totally agree.

Can you imagine paying for your groceries at Sainsbury's and the check-out girl says "£60 please" and you counter that with the times are tough argument and you've got £ 40, take it or leave it?

Comment

Sure they can't replace you without delivery uninterrupted. However, they can replace you. The market was not great before the whole covid 19 issue and it's abysmal now. So there may be some delivery delays if they replace you, but there will be cost savings. And the blame on the delivery delays can be allocated to covid 19. And there are many contractors out there who will be available to start immediately. Unless you're extra super special and have the most unique skill in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                    Unless you're extra super special and have the most unique skill in the world.
                    I think this adequately describes every CUK forum user

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Indeed. But pertinent to what I was suggesting, this will only work if all the client's workers do the reduced days. And then there won't be a mountain of emails to trawl through that landed in one's absence.

But the reality of all this is, one will just mind the emails as they come in.

Comment

Working...
                      X