• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Economic Crisis & Rate Reduction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by biergarten View Post
    I am quoting myself. I have still to negotiate the changes. I was thinking of telling them to keep the rate and work around 3'5 days a week, better than lowering the rate and working 5 days. But after reading the following (and not understanding half of it) I am not sure:

IR35 alert over Lloyds-style offers for 'non-essential' contractors to accept less work

any opinion?
    Looks like you are getting a rate cut and a day cut if working for Lloydes then

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Funnily enough got a call from my consultancy this morning starting with the spiel about the situation, clients cutting back etc. Cut the lady off and said I'm assuming you are heading towards a discussion about rates so give it me straight. Client wants a discount on the contract (managed service not just day rates), consultancy can't suffer it all and can I be flexible?
      Asked for some numbers and it turns out the periods contract (6 months) needs to be 5% less. They offer swallowing 2.5% and will I take the 2.5% hit? If we don't submit at a discount the whole thing has to go out to tender. Snapped her hand off. I've been a bit nervous about the extension and a few of the team have been canned in the 3 months we've been here so (IMO) an absolute bargain for the extension.
      It's a remote gig so advised I'll just be onsite a day or two less a week and they are happy with that. I'll end up with more in my pocket oddly enough.

Appears it was just a service improvement type cut rather than problems with Covid so was able to breath a sigh of relief. Result in my book.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Appears it was just a service improvement type cut rather than problems with Covid so was able to breath a sigh of relief. Result in my book.
        So they say, could be either taking advantage.

Bird in the hand and all that though.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          So they say, could be either taking advantage.

Bird in the hand and all that though.
          They could indeed. It's public sector so I am well aware they do push their suppliers for year on year reductions so quite within the realms of possibility. Going out to tender is also a regular thing in PS as well so can believe that if nothing else. Either way I will find out at some point and there is a close relationship with the team and the consultancy.

Even if, in the worst case, they've pulled my pants down then for 2.5% reduction for knowing I've got more work on the horizon then I'll undo my belt for them TBH. If I work one day less away from home a week I'm actually 20 quid up a week on what I get now so pretty content with the situation.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Dropped my rate by a 1/3 to help secure a new contract with existing client. Probably earning as much as your average landscape gardener, but I figured it's better to be sat at home getting paid, as opposed to being sat at home and not getting paid

Comment

Economic Crisis & Rate Reduction

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Funnily enough got a call from my consultancy this morning starting with the spiel about the situation, clients cutting back etc. Cut the lady off and said I'm assuming you are heading towards a discussion about rates so give it me straight. Client wants a discount on the contract (managed service not just day rates), consultancy can't suffer it all and can I be flexible?
              Asked for some numbers and it turns out the periods contract (6 months) needs to be 5% less. They offer swallowing 2.5% and will I take the 2.5% hit? If we don't submit at a discount the whole thing has to go out to tender. Snapped her hand off. I've been a bit nervous about the extension and a few of the team have been canned in the 3 months we've been here so (IMO) an absolute bargain for the extension.
              It's a remote gig so advised I'll just be onsite a day or two less a week and they are happy with that. I'll end up with more in my pocket oddly enough.

I would have bit her hand off and offered my 1st born child for that deal

Nice one sir

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 22 April 2020, 19:56.

Comment

Working...
              X