• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SoWs - changes on a current contract or terminating and signing a new one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SoWs - changes on a current contract or terminating and signing a new one?

Current client - been doing a massive upgrade project (software + hardware in the automation industry) for them for just over two years, declared as outside by them just before gov pulled IR35 changes. Last 2-3 "extensions" (effectively new contracts) were only a month long to push the project over into factory acceptance testing, but that never happened due to Covid 19. So end of March got a new contract with a modified SoW to finish the job (loads of defects from internal testing to fix) and also do a fairly short mod to the existing old system (as I know it inside out at this point). Just been asked if I can also do some mods on another package in the system, but I told them nope as my SoW doesn't cover this.

With all the corona tulipe going on any extra work is beneficial of course, so what's the best solution to this? Modify the SoW on the current contract (if that's even possible) or finish the current SoW, ask them to terminate the contract before end date and start a new one?

Easiest scenario would be to get an amendment to the SoW as cancelling the contract and drawing up a new one is too much faff.

If it's a choice of do this or you're terminated, which sounds a bit daft but few people are thinking logically these days, then you have to decide if you can afford to lose the work on a point of principle.

Comment

I would ask for an additional schedule to the existing contract detailing the extra requirement and its completion criteria. Dont over complicate things any more than necessary.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Or just get a new separate SoW for the new work and refer to the overarching terms and conditions of the contract.

Don't make a habit of this though. Too many 'new' SoW obviously looks like a paper chase and D&C comes in to play. Won't be hard to see through that.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In current climate, just get on with it.

People the nation over will have many other things to think and be worrying about so, good question but really, give yourself and others around you a break.

Perhaps save the email you sent raising the issue just in case.

Comment

Working...
          X