• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attracting web-site traffic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attracting web-site traffic

Hi,

I am toying with a web-site idea that I believe (hope), in the long run, will generate traffic.

The problem that I have is how to generate the initial traffic. It is a community-based website and targets businesses and the general public in a smallish geographical area.

Once the website is launched, what are the best and most cost effective ways to market it? A few spring to mind....leaflet drops, radio, ad in the local paper etc. The difficulty I can see is that the first people to access the site will see that it has a fairly low rate of user contribution...they will then decide that it is crap and will not return. For example, if I was to start a 'buy and sell' type of site, how could I generate a reasonable number of postings prior to the people actually having a chance to post them....can I steal them from the local paper????

Thanks.

Chris

"can I steal them from the local paper????"

All the car-ad papers seem to do this. About a week after the ad runs, they all ring you up to get you to advertise in their mag. Don't know how well it works though.

Comment

Tits oot for the lads. You know it makes sense.

Comment

Wot?

Comment

Perl get a grip love. Sex sells even if it ain't too PC. A few pictures of local lovelies in Readers Wives type poses would increase the traffic dramatically. Who else is going to visit a site for a 1 horse town? You might even get visitors in person spending money in the place anxious to give one of the ladies a squeeze in person.

I am available for discreet video-taping of interesting adult liaisons at reasonable rates if it all takes off.

Comment

Oh, I didn't understand ther relevance of your comment. Don't know how well it would work for a community based website (whatever that is).

Do you always call blokes "love", I thought only old ladies did that.

Comment

I withdraw the "love" Perls. Mixed you up with a female that used to be here called Pearls something.

Comment

If you are unknown then make sure your site is SEO-ed: Search Engine Optimis-ed for GOOGLE. Then deal with other top search engines, but make sure google loves you. Consider investing some money into Google's adwords. If you sell anything then do ebay -- you will get nice traffic that may or may not (depends on the stickiness of your site) stick to it.

btw, ignore rabbit -- allegedly he holds an opinion that one must have £5 mln to promote site - not a penny less. :rollin

Comment

Re: Generating website traffic

Forget search engines, they're crap unless you have a fat wallet these days.

Put something 'sticky' on your site. Forum (www.snitz.com) free classifieds, chat, ringtones, mobile games.

Then Offline advertising is the name of the game. Make sure you have a simple, easy to remember domain name.
                  www.mytowneastbourneisafabplacetobe.co.uk is NOT the kind of thing you want. www.eastbourne.co.uk IS (someone has already registered it though).
                  Then plaster it EVERYWHERE.

Get some professional lettering (magnetic boards are ok and not too expensive) for every vehicle your family has. Get THOUSANDS of business cards with just the domain on and stick them through letterboxes (it will take DAYS to do this). Advertise in your local yellow pages. Get some BIG domain posters made up, local pubs let you stick them in in return for a free webtulipe of a few pages with pictures. And so on and so forth.

After a few months hard work you will have a few thousand hits a day from tight bastards who won't buy anything but will EAT bandwith on your forums/chat rooms - maybe you'll sell the odd ringtone.
                  :hat

Comment

Search engines

--
                    Forget search engines, they're crap unless you have a fat wallet these days.
                    --

That seems fine if all you want is local business or non-technical business leads, but what do you do if you want to hit a very tight niche technical area.

I've worked in AI, commercially and academically, for over a decade now and given the current market and although I have ongoing contract work I've decided to set up a web site as honey trap to see if any business comes along. I'm not aiming for local software development work, I have the contract market for that but for businesses that have specific problems AI can attack, scheduling, route planning, manufacturing, data mining etc search engines would seem the way to do it.

Nick Nack

www.sympatry.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X