• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH/Lockdown/Future of office work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    aye, right.
    we don't have to worry about all that sh1te in my game yet, thank feck
    we just get on, and get it done, despite the powerpoint monkeys and fake rugby players.
    Proper scrum is great - you don't have to worry about Powerpoint, you just plan the sprint then crack on. If those that like to micromanage see the sprint backlog as their ideal tool then great, because it also keeps them at arm's length. You could almost consider it as "professional distancing".
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Must confess when working on an Agile project I just rock up and try to work out what their interpretation is over the first few days as they all vary.

Never been convinced any flavour of it is noticeably quicker or better than Waterfall but that is another conversation.

Comment

Even before this all kicked off, my client was going for the WFH thing. Large public sector building where they like to rent out floors of it to other people so it made sense for them.

Obviously, most IT people already had remote access for on call etc. BUT to be fair they've done a great job of getting nearly all staff remote now. I cant see them rushing people back in for months and months.
        There were some discrepancies with contractors. Some client managers inc mind weren't keen. I never pushed it because its local anyway and I'm not a WFH fan.
        Of course, the issue for forced.

A lot of companies, inc my client, are going to realise the world didn't fall apart when people were WFH. In the last month, we've had 2-3 emergencies that have been dealt with over slack/teams etc. I've been in to the office 3 times inc 10pm at night to sort things. It all worked.

Yeh there are tons of skivers in the public sector anyway. WFH has given them even more chance to do even less work that they do now of course....

Personally, I think it'll turn out well in the end for us contractors. A lot more acceptance of WFH.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          Must confess when working on an Agile project I just rock up and try to work out what their interpretation is over the first few days as they all vary.

Never been convinced any flavour of it is noticeably quicker or better than Waterfall but that is another conversation.
          Partly depends on the project, but I find agile is very useful when delivery can be in stages. Very much works with websites and systems that don't have to have everything live from day 1. It does need buy in from senior management though or it's just JFDI with a JIRA board.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

German minister backs creating legal right to work from home

German minister backs creating legal right to work from home - ABC News
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

He wants to make it a legal right even though he then says

He said initial estimates suggest the proportion of the work force working from home has risen from 12% to 25% during the virus crisis, to around 8 million people.
              Legal right when only 25% are doing it during a pandemic. Right... that's gonna go well.

As soon as someone mentions legal rights it gets my back straight up. Is that just me?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                As soon as someone mentions legal rights it gets my back straight up. Is that just me?
                No, I'm the same. Purely because the type of people who like to mention 'legal rights' are the ones who twist it to their advantage . For example, I know people who work in the public sector & view their paid sick leave entitlement as additional holidays. I know full pay sick leave isn't a legal entitlement but you get the idea.
                If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

He wants to make it a legal right even though he then says

Legal right when only 25% are doing it during a pandemic. Right... that's gonna go well.

Consider what legal rights you currently have, and then consider which of them you would like to be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Consider what legal rights you currently have, and then consider which of them you would like to be removed.
                    It's not so much that. It's adding silly ones in that make no sense. Legal right to work from home... where only 25% can do so at present and that right only stands if it's possible. Sounds like rubbish to me. There are many ways of promoting it and improving the situation.. but a legal right?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's not so much that. It's adding silly ones in that make no sense. Legal right to work from home... where only 25% can do so at present and that right only stands if it's possible. Sounds like rubbish to me. There are many ways of promoting it and improving the situation.. but a legal right?
                      It would at best be like the legal right to request flexible working that already exists.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X