• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WFH/Lockdown/Future of office work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    This exactly

Can’t wait to escape London for somewhere sunny after lockdown (why the hell would you live in UK if working from home)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    I did exactly that, this time last year. Spent two months living in Villefranche in France. Client unaware, a view over the Med, and no one skipped a beat.

Perhaps the initials of the future could be WFA(nywhere)

Comment

This exactly

Can’t wait to escape London for somewhere sunny after lockdown (why the hell would you live in UK if working from home)

I'd head down to the south west - probably Cornwall, maybe Devon. It was only the lack of jobs past Bristol preventing me doing it years ago. With that barrier gone, or going, there's a greater chance in the future of a warmer, better pace of life.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        I'd head down to the south west - probably Cornwall, maybe Devon. It was only the lack of jobs past Bristol preventing me doing it years ago. With that barrier gone, or going, there's a greater chance in the future of a warmer, better pace of life.
        You'll have to change your username...

Comment

This exactly

Been working from my Spanish place over the winter a couple of days a week for the last 3 years. Constant flying back and forth a pain in the arse. Hopefully this 'new norm' will lessen the need.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Isn't Cornwall the second wettest county in the country?

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
              Isn't Cornwall the second wettest county in the country?
              Mainly over the tops - dumps solidly on Bodmin Moor.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Apologies if posted already, interesting to see one large corporate thinking about it

Barclays CEO says 'putting 7,000 people in a building may be thing of the past' - Reuters

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Apologies if posted already, interesting to see one large corporate thinking about it

Barclays CEO says 'putting 7,000 people in a building may be thing of the past' - Reuters
                  When or indeed if this finally happens you can kiss a lot of UK jobs goodbye forever as workers outside UK with good english language skills will be employed instead on vastly reduced salaries! The building overhead savings plus employing less workers on lower salaries will be a goldmine for a few quarters boosting the bottom line & forcing many tier 1 banks to rethink their needs for staff requirements in the physical office space.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    When or indeed if this finally happens you can kiss a lot of UK jobs goodbye forever as workers outside UK with good english language skills will be employed instead on vastly reduced salaries! The building overhead savings plus employing less workers on lower salaries will be a goldmine for a few quarters boosting the bottom line & forcing many tier 1 banks to rethink their needs for staff requirements in the physical office space.
                    u wot m8?

Actual skillset would help too.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                      Totally agree, one can't just ignore the amount of job losses that would cause particularly for junior staff with admin based roles. This is a contractor forum though so the empathy on this will be minuscule.

Comment

Working...
                      X