• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thomas Personality Tests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    You called?
    We are saved!!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It’s just another way to tire people up. More hoops for you to jump so you get attached to the role and better negotiating position for them.
      Harshness builds attachment.
      Or pushes you towards jobs you don’t want to do: like stocking shelves.
      Everyone struggles with them, that is the whole idea and we all know that 80% of the workforce is so brain numb from the repetitive work I’d be surprised if they get even 10% of it done.
      Bulltulip Jobs by David Graeber should be made mandatory to read when you finish Uni.

Comment

I never went to Uni. Am I allowed to read it or does it not come in a soft play format?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
          It’s just another way to tire people up. More hoops for you to jump so you get attached to the role and better negotiating position for them.
          Harshness builds attachment.
          Or pushes you towards jobs you don’t want to do: like stocking shelves.
          Everyone struggles with them, that is the whole idea and we all know that 80% of the workforce is so brain numb from the repetitive work I’d be surprised if they get even 10% of it done.
          Bulltulip Jobs by David Graeber should be made mandatory to read when you finish Uni.
          Oh, I'd like that book but can't buy it now. I think a lot of jobs are being exposed these days becuase of COVID.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I never went to Uni. Am I allowed to read it or does it not come in a soft play format?
            Could not find a better expression... I don’t hold going to univ to a high esteem. It only puts people into debt and teaches some how to look up on google.
            Stopped myself half through a masters degree, found it pointless even if where I come from it was free.
            Ironically, some of the people that I know that have done well in life since uni have been the ones putting the least effort during it.

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
            Oh, I'd like that book but can't buy it now. I think a lot of jobs are being exposed these days becuase of COVID.
            Think it’s in pdf format on the web.
            After going through it I felt a huge relief seeing written the things I was thinking about and seeing around me but felt guilty and estranged thinking that way.
            Last edited by GigiBronz; 1 May 2020, 16:26.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              They're not measuring personality anyway. They're measuring your ability to game a personality test. You can research how to manipulate these tests to get ideal results.
              I once had to do one of these tests, 90 minutes to answer 350 questions. I realised going through it that most questions were repeated but asked in a different way.

The results came back saying I was a control freak. All they had to do was ask and I could have saved those 90 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                I once had to do one of these tests, 90 minutes to answer 350 questions. I realised going through it that most questions were repeated but asked in a different way.

The results came back saying I was a control freak. All they had to do was ask and I could have saved those 90 minutes
                Ah but if you'd told them, they wouldn't have believed you.

Comment

Just got my results back.

Apparently I did really well on the horoscope test where I had to rank the words that describe me several times over. One notable result is "Rewards should be geared to loyalty and sincerity, and should provide fringe benefits."

However, I did absolutely awful on the "jump through stupid hoops" test and am apparently in the bottom one percentile of the population in counting the number of columns where the lowercase and uppercase letters coincide.

The hiring lady asked me to explain, which could possibly be the real reason behind the test. I was careful to NOT criticise them or try to argue that the entire test was stupid, just one line to say "doesn't reflect the feedback I've ever received from previous employers or clients. Would you like to set up a time to talk about any open roles....."

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I don't know the Thomas test but there is typically bugger all evidence base for these types of test.
                    In my experience, few people receive any kind of training in interviewing. Unstructured interviews are a worse than average predictor of employee success.

The best predictor seems to be a mix of structured interview, cognitive ability test and behavioural test. In many organisations, it becomes more likely there'll be some psychometric element in hiring for senior/exec roles.

One I've heard good things about is Hogan. Another I've done and used myself is Insights. It's based on Jungian theory (like the discredited Myers Briggs) but I've found it eerily accurate at assessing personality types.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                      Could not find a better expression... I don’t hold going to univ to a high esteem. It only puts people into debt and teaches some how to look up on google. .
                      How different it was before student loans and the internet. Fewer people going to university made for degrees having some value.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X