• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thomas Personality Tests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    How different it was before student loans and the internet. Fewer people going to university made for degrees having some value.
    Most Degrees are irrelevant these days unless you want to be a teacher

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Since you guys are posting here, I'll continue with my story.

The HR lady set it up so I could take the test again, for no good reason other than I didn't do well. I spent some time practising and took it again yesterday. No idea when I'll get my results as another unique aspect to this hiring process is that they send one email every 10 days, always starting with an apology about why it has taken 10 days to respond.

All of this and they haven't even told me what role I am being considered for and how much it will pay. It's almost like this process is designed to find people who will put up with almost any level of abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
        All of this and they haven't even told me what role I am being considered for and how much it will pay. It's almost like this process is designed to find people who will put up with almost any level of abuse.
        Seems to be working. Why are you putting up with it?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Seems to be working. Why are you putting up with it?
          Because I've been on the bench for almost 6 months and there's not much else out there right now. If I drop every opportunity that's less than perfect I might not get another job for months.

Comment

Because I've been on the bench for almost 6 months and there's not much else out there right now. If I drop every opportunity that's less than perfect I might not get another job for months.
            No, that's fair! Needs must and all that.

Comment

It probably is, it also makes you consider doing roles that you would not normally do. It is how this society works.
              Just hang on in there, it has nothing to do with yourself or your skillset. Probably a bit but we all do rubbish under stress or the tests might not evaluate skills useful for the role and in the greater scheme of things - it does not serve much purpose.
              You should definitely read that book.

The way to look at recruitment business is partially necessity to find resources, partially enforcing the rules of the game, pushing people around, tiring them so you can easily get them to do what you want.
              It is an orchestrated effort accross the business to make a better environment for them and for the economy. It might be surprising but it is one of the reason why even without a role, recruiters are still expected to be on the phone, calling people around,looking busy in the office.
              Sounds a bit paranoid but I have no doubt that this is how the situation actually is.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                Just hang on in there, it has nothing to do with yourself or your skillset. Probably a bit but we all do rubbish under stress or the tests might not evaluate skills useful for the role and in the greater scheme of things - it does not serve much purpose.
                Thanks for that, I really appreciate it right now. I'm really, really finding it hard to find any role right now and it's starting to get me down. Usually I'm pretty good at recognising BS like this and not letting it get to me but lately it seems every single possible gig has something to kick me. A ridiculously low rate and/or ridiculous wishlist of skills required and/or technical tests that you could spend days on.

Whatever, I spent a few hours practising and took the test again and this time scored reasonably high. in the 80th percentile instead of 1 or whatever. Then they pulled yet another test to take out of the air. I'm sure at the end of all this they are going to tell me they have a permie job 100 miles from my house for 35k.

Comment

Thanks for that, I really appreciate it right now. I'm really, really finding it hard to find any role right now and it's starting to get me down. Usually I'm pretty good at recognising BS like this and not letting it get to me but lately it seems every single possible gig has something to kick me. A ridiculously low rate and/or ridiculous wishlist of skills required and/or technical tests that you could spend days on.

Whatever, I spent a few hours practising and took the test again and this time scored reasonably high. in the 80th percentile instead of 1 or whatever. Then they pulled yet another test to take out of the air. I'm sure at the end of all this they are going to tell me they have a permie job 100 miles from my house for 35k.
                  At least you're not sitting at home after giving up. Keep plugging away and keep your spirits up as best you can.

Comment

What role are you looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      What role are you looking for?

Data Warehouse, Data Engineer, recently Azure Certified.

Please don't say "those are hot skills right now, you should find something easily." Like I said, I'm getting some activity so not going absolutely crazy. I'm sure there are others who are having as tough a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X