• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel expenses self-employment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel expenses self-employment

*If I have posted in the wrong place then please move to right place*
    I've spoken to an accountant, though wanted to get some advice from you guys and possibly some professional advice for a second opinion.

I'm newly self-employed in healthcare. I have yet to get up and running in the current environment though planning to soon. I have a temporary assignment for 6 months, 2 days a week. And plan to work in 4 or 5 other separate locations during this time. The advice I've been given by the account that because this employment is over 1 month and I'll be going on regular days that this falls under being employment. My understanding was previous to that because it's a temporary contract that this wouldn't apply and that travel to this location would be tax deductible.

Secondly, they advised any ad-hoc work (whatever hours/days) even if you attend once a week for more than a month - then travel to these locations would not be tax deductible.

Would be grateful if you can steer me in the direction of some professional tax advice as prefer to have it all above board.

Are you actually self-employed or are you operating via a Ltd Co / Umbrella?

Is the contract inside or outside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by Newlycontracting View Post
      *If I have posted in the wrong place then please move to right place*
      Erm.. like the accounting forums???

As LadyMuck says. Need to know how you are remunerating yourself/
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks - new to all this, so please direct me as you feel most appropriate.

I'm setting up as self-employed as a sole-trader, not through an intermediary or Ltd company at present.

I understand to this end IR35 would not apply.

I've had a look here to clarify:
        Employment status: Self-employed and contractor - GOV.UK
        Last edited by Newlycontracting; 30 April 2020, 15:32.

Comment

I'm setting up as a self-employed as a sole-trader, not through in intermediary or Ltd company at present.

Expenses if you're self-employed - GOV.UK
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks - new to all this, so please direct me as you feel most appropriate.

I'm setting up as self-employed as a sole-trader, not through an intermediary or Ltd company at present.

If you're going to be contracting in IT, self-employed as a sole-trader is about the worst place to be. Companies won't take on sole-traders.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              If you're going to be contracting in IT, self-employed as a sole-trader is about the worst place to be. Larger companies won't take on sole-traders.
              FTFY
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                FTFY
                Fair enough. Most agencies won't deal with them either from what I've seen.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                X