• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting in Mons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting in Mons

Hi All,

I've looked online etc. but was wondering if anyone had recommendations for renting near SHAPE by Mons. I'll have a car so don't mind a bit of a drive.

I don't want to rent a flat as last time I did my contract got cut early and I was left paying the 3 month notice period so am looking for a cheap serviced apartment / long stay hotel room etc. which I can rent by the month.

Brussels has similar for 700 or 800 euro a month but I can't find anything in that price for Mons....

Cheers

David

Google recommends:

SHAPE2DAY | SHAPE Inn
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Google recommends:

SHAPE2DAY | SHAPE Inn
      Yep but that on base which I'd like to avoid as I'm a contractor - also I think these places tend to get a bit pricey by the month....

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
        Yep but that on base which I'd like to avoid as I'm a contractor - also I think these places tend to get a bit pricey by the month....
        Why avoid it? If you're staying there and yourco is getting billed at a non-preferential rate, then there's no problem. While it may be expensive, you have to consider travel costs and time. I've stayed in hotels on Canary Wharf when I've looked at the rate and found other places further out for a tenner less - not worth the extra 40 minutes each way when I can fall out of bed at 8:30, shower, dress and grab breakfast and be sat at a desk before 9.
        Last edited by LondonManc; 1 May 2020, 08:56.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Does the likes of booking.com not have anything? They do a variety of stuff, not just hotels

Comment

How close to Mons do you need to be?
            I used to stay in Ittre and Nivelles when working on the south side of Brussels.

But your claim of €700-800 a month in Brussels is something interesting - apart from in hostels, you'd struggle to get anywhere under about twice that.
            Most of the places I stayed in the centre of Brussels were coming in at €120+ per night.

Consider some of the smaller towns, perhaps Soignies. Find a hotel for the first week or two, then explore the area, or discuss directly with the hotel. If you're looking at a long term booking, they can be flexible with heir rates as long as they are privately owned.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              How close to Mons do you need to be?
              I used to stay in Ittre and Nivelles when working on the south side of Brussels.

But your claim of €700-800 a month in Brussels is something interesting - apart from in hostels, you'd struggle to get anywhere under about twice that.
              Most of the places I stayed in the centre of Brussels were coming in at €120+ per night.

Consider some of the smaller towns, perhaps Soignies. Find a hotel for the first week or two, then explore the area, or discuss directly with the hotel. If you're looking at a long term booking, they can be flexible with heir rates as long as they are privately owned.
              Flat in Zaventeem was 700 euro plus a bit or bills, then a duplex in Kraainem for 1250 a month including bills. There's also an 'ApartHotel' near the airport which does 'studios' for 700(ish) - I've been trying to find similar to this in Mons but can't get anywhere online.

I don't mind a bit of a drive, south of Brussels to Mons is about 40-50 minutes on clear roads, but rush hour....I've not done it before but would guess it'd be a couple of hours to commute.

Think your idea about a hotel for a few weeks then having a look around is probably the sensible move.

Anyway....not had the client interview yet so might all go down the pan if I don't score the role....we'll see next week :-)

Cheers

Comment

Flat in Zaventeem was 700 euro plus a bit or bills, then a duplex in Kraainem for 1250 a month including bills. There's also an 'ApartHotel' near the airport which does 'studios' for 700(ish) - I've been trying to find similar to this in Mons but can't get anywhere online.

I don't mind a bit of a drive, south of Brussels to Mons is about 40-50 minutes on clear roads, but rush hour....I've not done it before but would guess it'd be a couple of hours to commute.

Think your idea about a hotel for a few weeks then having a look around is probably the sensible move.

Anyway....not had the client interview yet so might all go down the pan if I don't score the role....we'll see next week :-)

Cheers
                That's what I used to do when working in London. A hotel near the client for a couple of weeks while I could figure out something better value near a station on the same tube line. Not sure what the public transport network is like at the moment, so you may have to drive but that does give greater flexibility.

Comment

I would NEVER book a long term property in an area I didn't know well before having spent a couple of weeks in a hotel there first. But you see it on here every so often where someone books a room for 3 months before they start, then the contract gets canned.

Also once you get the offer, ask the end client about recommended accommodation, or hotels where they have a reduced rate. And then when you get there, speak to the locals.

But my final advice - Come out of the tunnel, go Dunkirk - Lille - Tournai - Mons. The E40/R0/E19 has too many speed cameras on it. And on the way home, fill up at the Auchan in Grande Synthe (also fill up with wine there)
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And read this

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-security.html

You WILL have to register LIMOSA with the Belgian authorities otherwise you will not get a pass for the base.

i used to stay at the Van der Valk hotel but i was + expenses.

Comment

Working...
                    X