• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suing French Client In UK For Failure To Pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suing French Client In UK For Failure To Pay

Hi,

Facts: I have a client who I helped out with a legal matter. He is the partner of a (now former) friend. He owes me thousands of pounds and is ignoring my invoice. I live in London, he lives in France. Can I bring a claim against him in London or do I need to do it in the UK?

Just checking if anyone knows on here before I look this up myself.

Thank you.

Dunno if it matters but is this a business debt or a personal one?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What law applies in the contract?
      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Your post is confusing.
        Your facts are a mix of emotion, irrelevant details and inaccuracies.

The facts you need to be concerned about are...

Have you got an agreement to buy goods or services? A PO or contract.
        Have you got proof of delivery of said goods or services?
        Have you issued an invoice for said delivery?

If you have all of those then start dunning (google it).

Remove all emotion. And forget suing until you’ve exhausted other avenues.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's more difficult if the client is in France. You could contact a debt collection agency, who also collect debt internationally.

eg Debt Collection and Debt Recovery from Safe Collections

He probably thinks that the chances of you collecting the debt are remote. I would send a letter threatening legal action and perhaps that you would do this through a debt collection agency, which he can check himself. When he realises that it's a credible threat he may stop ignoring the invoices.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Do you have a contract?

What does the contract say about jurisdiction and governing law?

Comment

If there is no contract

You may find it exceedingly difficult to get payment.

2 options I see based on your post

1) international debt collection agency
              2) Ask your "chaps" if they might be of assistance.

Going to court on this is going to be lengthy and costly and carries the risk that you won't get be paid and will get lumbered with costs. I have had problems with international debt in the past. using 1 then 2 has usually resulted in payment.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                You may find it exceedingly difficult to get payment.

2 options I see based on your post

1) international debt collection agency
                2) Ask your "chaps" if they might be of assistance.

Going to court on this is going to be lengthy and costly and carries the risk that you won't get be paid and will get lumbered with costs. I have had problems with international debt in the past. using 1 then 2 has usually resulted in payment.
                Safe Collections are worth a call.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  It's more difficult if the client is in France. You could contact a debt collection agency, who also collect debt internationally.

eg Debt Collection and Debt Recovery from Safe Collections

He probably thinks that the chances of you collecting the debt are remote. I would send a letter threatening legal action and perhaps that you would do this through a debt collection agency, which he can check himself. When he realises that it's a credible threat he may stop ignoring the invoices.
                  Thank you. I have contacted them. Any idea what % they take? I've asked them in any event.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander93 View Post
                    Thank you. I have contacted them. Any idea what % they take? I've asked them in any event.
                    They quoted me something very reasonable(I forget, the exact sum, <10% IIRC) for a debt that involved them bringing in an external partner in another country. I didn't go with them in the end because they were decent enough to advise that although they would take the work on if I wanted, I would be better going through the courts.

Comment

Working...
                    X