• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone considered running multiple contracts during this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It worked for Lorraine Kelly.
    No it didn’t. There was clear evidence of lack of D&C whose absence is sufficient to be outside. The in-business factors were a bonus. Had the sufficient degree of control been present, she would’ve lost.

Comment

Has anyone considered running multiple contracts during this?

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      No it didn’t. There was clear evidence of lack of D&C whose absence is sufficient to be outside. The in-business factors were a bonus. Had the sufficient degree of control been present, she would’ve lost.
      Lack of D&C was evidenced by the fact that neither client had first call on her time.
      Something which having two clients provides (assuming they’re don’t have first call of your time).

I have the same. My main client asked me to cancel a business trip for client 2 as they wanted me then. I said no. And have that evidenced. Ergo no D&C.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

If it's good for your business, do it. It's what your shareholders would want.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          If it's good for your business, do it. It's what your shareholders would want.
          Shareholders don't want the main source of income to burn out
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Lack of D&C was evidenced by the fact that neither client had first call on her time.
            Something which having two clients provides (assuming they’re don’t have first call of your time).

I have the same. My main client asked me to cancel a business trip for client 2 as they wanted me then. I said no. And have that evidenced. Ergo no D&C.
            It’s really quite simple. A hypothetical contract is formed separately for each engagement. The in-business factors are only considered when stepping back to view the broader context. There is no judgement where in-business factors alone were sufficient in the absence of at least one of the three pillars, either directly or indirectly. Read the judgement again. Lack of D&C was summarised thusly:

LK drives and controls her services and essentially she drives the programme. It is up to her how she presents and the subject matter [...] LK is not bound by ITV’s code of conduct which is for employees [...] They (ITV) couldn’t do anything LK didn’t believe in [...] LK drives the ratings [...] If there was no LK there would be no show

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Shareholders don't want the main source of income to burn out
              Mrs SM may beg to differ if the insurance payments are up to date.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                LK drives and controls her services and essentially she drives the programme. It is up to her how she presents and the subject matter [...] LK is not bound by ITV’s code of conduct which is for employees [...] They (ITV) couldn’t do anything LK didn’t believe in [...] LK drives the ratings [...] If there was no LK there would be no show
                was that her counsel or the tribunal finding?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

was that her counsel or the tribunal finding?
                  Full judgement here:

http://financeandtax.decisions.tribu...09/TC07045.pdf

We are satisfied that control of Ms Kelly’s work pursuant to the hypothetical contract lay with Ms Kelly. In our view, the level of control falls far substantially below the sufficient degree required to demonstrate a contract for service
                  Like I said, absent the (lack of) sufficient degree of control, the minor in-business factors wouldn’t have amounted to anything. No case has been won on those alone. I think we agree that presence of (some of) the three pillars tends to bleed into positive in-business factors too. Anyway, thread derail, so that’s the last on this from me.

Comment

I think there's a little bit of false dichotomy here. In real life, multiple clients almost always brings with it evidence against SDC and against MOO. If you have multiple clients, you can always find things, like Lance's business trip, that are really useful to have in your IR35 dossier to help you demonstrate, if not a lack of, at least limits to, SDC.

If you've got a reasonable case, multiple clients will probably seal it. In an area with so much subjectivity, having something like that in your arsenal is really useful.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                      I think there's a little bit of false dichotomy here. In real life, multiple clients almost always brings with it evidence against SDC and against MOO. If you have multiple clients, you can always find things, like Lance's business trip, that are really useful to have in your IR35 dossier to help you demonstrate, if not a lack of, at least limits to, SDC.

If you've got a reasonable case, multiple clients will probably seal it. In an area with so much subjectivity, having something like that in your arsenal is really useful.
                      I would also expect (but I don't know) that having multiple clients would decrease your likelihood of being investigated.

Comment

Working...
                      X