• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone considered running multiple contracts during this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I would also expect (but I don't know) that having multiple clients would decrease your likelihood of being investigated.
    Perhaps, but certainly people with multiple clients have ended up in tribunals. I don't know whether anyone with multiple concurrent clients has actually lost.

JB is right that technically, it's not much of a factor. Practically, it almost always will be a significant factor.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      I don't know whether anyone with multiple concurrent clients has actually lost.
      Most recently, Mantides vs. HMRC (locum GP, inside on one of several engagements). Really will shut up now though

Comment

Perhaps, but certainly people with multiple clients have ended up in tribunals. I don't know whether anyone with multiple concurrent clients has actually lost.
        There will always be some, but I wonder if they are outliers. It depends how much HMRC go for the low hanging fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          There will always be some, but I wonder if they are outliers. It depends how much HMRC go for the low hanging fruit.
          Just like with any other debt collection business, it's a case of risk/effort versus reward.
          Someone who has been working for the same bank on the wharf for three years as a contractor and suddenly is declared inside IR35 is firmly going to be within their sights, especially if they're a UK resident and citizen and always have been.
          Last edited by LondonManc; 6 May 2020, 14:46.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            As the old adage goes "The Chinese have the same word for crisis and opportunity", I've just knocked back an email from an agent as I am one of the few fortunate to still be engaged during this pandemic, but should I be looking to run multiple gigs at the same time while I can?

I know the flippant answer will be yes, and do I really want the added stress of trying to juggle two diaries for meetings etc? Am I selfish for hogging two roles when I should be helping out those contractors on the bench?
            I find that having multiple roles makes life much more interesting (whether in Chinese proverb terms or not, I can't say). As for selfishness - that's between you and your conscience.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I find that having multiple roles makes life much more interesting (whether in Chinese proverb terms or not, I can't say). As for selfishness - that's between you and your conscience.
              If we believe in and practice Capitalism, it's all about profit.

Who knows when the train, be it gravy-filled or otherwise, will end.

Get to work on whatever is offered.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Am I selfish for hogging two roles when I should be helping out those contractors on the bench?
                Are you running a charity or a business?

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
                  Are you running a charity or a business?
                  Quite.

FFS, it's survival of the fittest and the most business-like.

If you are feeling a conscience, give half to the NHS knowing you/one did a better job than anyone else to make such a donation.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Most recently, Mantides vs. HMRC (locum GP, inside on one of several engagements). Really will shut up now though
                    When you get old, you start to remember stuff from long ago but not the recent past. This is obviously a warning to me.

Comment

When you get old, you start to remember stuff from long ago but not the recent past. This is obviously a warning to me.
                      What were we talking about?

Comment

Working...
                      X