Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been? Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been? - Page 11
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 110 of 160
  1. #101

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCTNN View Post
    Ok, but just because you're asking
    Could you send me fifty quid please?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  2. #102

    Contractor Among Contractors

    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Yes, I have asked my accountant.
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCTNN View Post
    Were you sitting on a beach or were you in New York last year when you were crying like a baby about how long you had been on the bench and couldn't find anything?
    For some of it, yes ;-)

    I was mindful of the pipeline was all!

  3. #103

    Nervous Newbie

    silent bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where ever the money is
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Hated being permie, but have to admit, the conferences were great. I remember going to Dublin for annual European user group. Basically got hammered for 3 days, went to a few talks, which i didn't really take much notice of, and all paid for by the company. Happy days they were

  4. #104

    Default

    Present your clients work at the conference and you can be paid to attend as an IR35 contractor.

    Simples


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  5. #105

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Not having to go to company conferences (where people pretend to be interested in their company/industry) or have to take training (where people pretend that it's useful, impartial, accurate etc.) is surely a bonus. Both of those things are massive drags on permanent employment life.

    When I'm sat on a beach somewhere or staying in a nice hotel in New York I don't sit there thinking "I wish I was at the Management Consultant Expo in Olympia or undertaking some internal accreditation training"
    I'm just up the road from Olympia, you should give me a shout next time

  6. #106

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Been back to perm for month or so now so thought now is a good time to get stuffs out of my chest & express/share my feelings/thoughts for this topic...

    Since the day i started applying for perm jobs, I've been constantly thinking will am i going to be regretting it.. Tbh, not really.

    Firstly, I'm in tech so the chance to work on greenfield projects is brilliant as it gives me good opportunities to upskill whilst being in work. Opportunities like these were hard to come by in contracting as before and probably nowadays contract positions are more tailored for specific niche (perhaps a bit old-school tech) & working on brown-field legacy projects. Unless you're okay with that... but I wasn't, as I was afraid to become a dinosaur in the tech industry. This industry moves fast & overall I felt I had to keep up with the change & being a perm that work on greenfield project will set me on right path.

    Onto the financial side of things, my overall package value is not that far off an outside role, if any its possibly equates to same amount as an inside role offers. Plus, my monthly take home matches my short-medium financial goals so I'm happy. Just that I no longer can stash away more money in my business bank to build up a chest.

    Finally, want to mention a few words on the baggage that comes with it. The line management part is the part i'm most dreading about. To be constantly having pointless 1-1 meetings to discuss things such as behavioural improvements will become a massive chore for me. Having done so many of these behavoural line management meetings over my early career years, i always felt it something that goes round & round in circles (They want you to improve on this - so you go away and improve, then next appraisal meeting they say you need to improve something else, and it continues forever... so eventually at some point you will become the most awesome human being ever lived & worked? No, of course not!) This was a main factor that drove me into contracting in the first place.

    Having said that, i'm trading off the hassle of having to constantly keep an eye on my business accounting stuffs, making sure p11d submitted, ensuring my PAYE is processed correctly, doing my VAT returns, self assessments, managing my expenses... list goes on... phew!

    I guess all i need to do is manage my line management & not get too bogged down about the pointless behavioural stuffs & just try my best to focus on what i'm supposed to do in my job.

  7. #107

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BritishLad88 View Post
    Been back to perm for month or so now so thought now is a good time to get stuffs out of my chest & express/share my feelings/thoughts for this topic...

    Since the day i started applying for perm jobs, I've been constantly thinking will am i going to be regretting it.. Tbh, not really.

    Firstly, I'm in tech so the chance to work on greenfield projects is brilliant as it gives me good opportunities to upskill whilst being in work. Opportunities like these were hard to come by in contracting as before and probably nowadays contract positions are more tailored for specific niche (perhaps a bit old-school tech) & working on brown-field legacy projects. Unless you're okay with that... but I wasn't, as I was afraid to become a dinosaur in the tech industry. This industry moves fast & overall I felt I had to keep up with the change & being a perm that work on greenfield project will set me on right path.

    Onto the financial side of things, my overall package value is not that far off an outside role, if any its possibly equates to same amount as an inside role offers. Plus, my monthly take home matches my short-medium financial goals so I'm happy. Just that I no longer can stash away more money in my business bank to build up a chest.

    Finally, want to mention a few words on the baggage that comes with it. The line management part is the part i'm most dreading about. To be constantly having pointless 1-1 meetings to discuss things such as behavioural improvements will become a massive chore for me. Having done so many of these behavoural line management meetings over my early career years, i always felt it something that goes round & round in circles (They want you to improve on this - so you go away and improve, then next appraisal meeting they say you need to improve something else, and it continues forever... so eventually at some point you will become the most awesome human being ever lived & worked? No, of course not!) This was a main factor that drove me into contracting in the first place.

    Having said that, i'm trading off the hassle of having to constantly keep an eye on my business accounting stuffs, making sure p11d submitted, ensuring my PAYE is processed correctly, doing my VAT returns, self assessments, managing my expenses... list goes on... phew!

    I guess all i need to do is manage my line management & not get too bogged down about the pointless behavioural stuffs & just try my best to focus on what i'm supposed to do in my job.
    What would be interesting to know is the old day rate and how many days you billed a year

    And the new perm package

    When the numbers are written down we often see

    650 a day 230 days a year outside IR35 == 150 K plus you can dividend and wife allowance it
    90K a year with a 4% pension == 60K a year after tax

    Which is crazy

  8. #108

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    25,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonPM1 View Post
    What would be interesting to know is the old day rate and how many days you billed a year

    And the new perm package

    When the numbers are written down we often see

    650 a day 230 days a year outside IR35 == 150 K plus you can dividend and wife allowance it
    90K a year with a 4% pension == 60K a year after tax

    Which is crazy
    But I think you've swung too far the other way. I expect it is a minority of contractors who consistently bill 230 day per year - most aim to work less and many have breaks between contracts. You've assumed near the top end here. Also, I'm not sure what % of contractors have a spouse where income splitting is tax beneficial. So again, you've assumed a good case scenario for the 650 pd.

    When you look at the 90k salary, you've assumed a poor case scenario. 4% pension as the only benefit would be unusual on 90k. And you've given no consideration to the value of sick pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  9. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    But I think you've swung too far the other way. I expect it is a minority of contractors who consistently bill 230 day per year - most aim to work less and many have breaks between contracts. You've assumed near the top end here. Also, I'm not sure what % of contractors have a spouse where income splitting is tax beneficial. So again, you've assumed a good case scenario for the 650 pd.

    When you look at the 90k salary, you've assumed a poor case scenario. 4% pension as the only benefit would be unusual on 90k. And you've given no consideration to the value of sick pay.
    Or 30 days holiday + bank holidays




    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  10. #110

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonPM1 View Post
    650 a day 230 days a year outside IR35 == 150 K plus you can dividend and wife allowance it
    If you think having a wife will save you money...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •