• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    I wonder which opportunities site adds filtering inside / outside first?

I am tired of looking at 11 offers and learning most of them are inside after opening the details.
    It's the government's fault.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
      I’m not up for permie unless I was a contractor first to get the vibe. The place I’m at is mainly permanents. The boss is awful no people skills at all, he expects no chat nothing but work, work, when we were all in the office. Coffee breaks he frowned on and you are expected to make up time if you’ve time to make a drink I kid you not! Micro manager too in the extreme. I could say more but wary on a forum. Suffice to say glad I’m short term as you never really know til you join. For the permies their payrises, bonus, shares etc dictated by this moron so they’ve to jump through hoops be always available and online , show off in meetings blah blah blah to keep him onside and it’s an impossible task as he wants blood! I’d rather poke my eyes out than be beholding... much happier in contracting world and not selling your soul for a bonus /pay rise!!
      I've always asked for flexible working.

Never lasted long where they aren't flexible...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I’m not up for permie unless I was a contractor first to get the vibe. The place I’m at is mainly permanents. The boss is awful no people skills at all, he expects no chat nothing but work, work, when we were all in the office. Coffee breaks he frowned on and you are expected to make up time if you’ve time to make a drink I kid you not! Micro manager too in the extreme. I could say more but wary on a forum. Suffice to say glad I’m short term as you never really know til you join. For the permies their payrises, bonus, shares etc dictated by this moron so they’ve to jump through hoops be always available and online , show off in meetings blah blah blah to keep him onside and it’s an impossible task as he wants blood! I’d rather poke my eyes out than be beholding... much happier in contracting world and not selling your soul for a bonus /pay rise!!
        I was a contractor for 22 years and couldn’t see myself ever going permie but 12 months on the bench and the market nosediving changed my mind

My last client advertised a permie position similar to what I had been doing for them so I applied and was offered the job with a good salary. Currently going through the background checks but that shouldn’t be a problem. I liked the work and the people so its going to be easy for me to join in the culture. I used to WFH a lot so once I get set up I’ll hit the ground running. In fact, I’m sure it helped that they knew me and my capabilities against taking a chance with someone else who was good in interview.

I’m not looking for training, promotion or any other career enhancements, I’m just happy to have a well paid job to see me out to retirement.

Comment

Never say never for me. I was sorely tempted by one permie role earlier this year but another contract came up before I got too far down the process. The numbers didn't stack up entirely but I didn't think the new world prospects were all that good so it was worth my time looking into it.

Comment

I'm 4 months and 9 days into my permie job. I hate it. I'm working harder than ever, in a constant battle about priorities, lack of overtime and goals. I'm eroding into my savings each month as the promised 25% bonus (we meet targets consistently) has miraculously turned into an average of about 3% bonus and the fortnightly 1 to 1's with my manager are soul destroying.

Ive jsut seen a good contract role doing exactly the same thing, so applying for that now. At least I've beaten the 4 months my Dad would predict I'd last.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              I'm 4 months and 9 days into my permie job. I hate it. I'm working harder than ever, in a constant battle about priorities, lack of overtime and goals. I'm eroding into my savings each month as the promised 25% bonus (we meet targets consistently) has miraculously turned into an average of about 3% bonus and the fortnightly 1 to 1's with my manager are soul destroying.

Ive jsut seen a good contract role doing exactly the same thing, so applying for that now. At least I've beaten the 4 months my Dad would predict I'd last.
              I went permie 5 years ago. 4 months is how long I lasted before i handed in my notice and went contracting again stealing my emoloyers' client. I hated every minute of it.

Comment

Apply to anything and everything that's a contract. Just get out of there before your 6 months which I assume your 3 month notice will kick in.

Comment

For the permies their payrises, bonus, shares etc dictated by this moron so they’ve to jump through hoops be always available and online , show off in meetings blah blah blah to keep him onside and it’s an impossible task as he wants blood! I’d rather poke my eyes out than be beholding... much happier in contracting world and not selling your soul for a bonus /pay rise!!
                  I did a long time as permie before I started contracting. Made myself available, put in the extra effort, came in at weekend (for free) if a server change over needed to happen. Every year got the same 2% (or less) increase as everyone else. The ones that were out of the door at the stroke of 5 were the wise ones in retrospect. People do not value things they get for free.

Comment

Same at my place except the 1 to 1’s are weekly and are painful, like a tick list what are you doing what have you finished in the last week yada, yada constant checking...I couldn’t do it permanent...I’ve got an end date! It’s beyond crap! If we weren’t in lockdown I’d have walked ...

Comment

If you're working harder than ever as a permie, you're doing it wrong. You need to start taking the piss.

And as you've learned - base pay is what matters. Bonuses too easily disappear. If you calculated affordability including bonuses then you've done a silly thing.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X