• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    It sounds extremely boring.
    Every place I've been, permanent or contract, gets boring after 6-12 months.

Real freedom and happiness are achieved the moment you stop giving a damn about the work you do and start paying attention to the things that matter the most, which always happen outside of work. If you are permanent, you can achieve this more easily because it removes a lot of the worries that contracting brings. Even more so now that contracts are scarce and financially less and less rewarding.

The people who are always looking for the most exciting projects, those are the people I pity the most because when someone looks for excitement at work generally it's a sign they don't have much going on outside of work.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      Every place I've been, permanent or contract, gets boring after 6-12 months.

Real freedom and happiness are achieved the moment you stop giving a damn about the work you do and start paying attention to the things that matter the most, which always happen outside of work. If you are permanent, you can achieve this more easily because it removes a lot of the worries that contracting brings. Even more so now that contracts are scarce and financially less and less rewarding.

The people who are always looking for the most exciting projects, those are the people I pity the most because when someone looks for excitement at work generally it's a sign they don't have much going on outside of work.
      I work with some people who genuinely seem to enjoy what they do, be it running Azure projects or implementing eCommerce or security or whatever and I just don't get it, I think "don't you have any other hobbies or passions in life?". Maybe they're the lucky ones, but I switch off very easily and just don't seem to have the same passion that they do.

At the same time, I have no worries closing down my laptop at 4:30 on a Friday and not using one single brain cell to think about the project until around lunchtime on Monday. I don't think they can do that.

The times I do enjoy contracting are when I'm floating in a resort hotel pool somewhere on my bench periods and think to myself, "this is why".
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        I wonder if, for many of us, contracting is an unconscious fear of intimacy.
        Very true. I know this as it's evident in other areas of my life.
        If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

You can reach a point were the tulip involved in contracting outweighs the tulip involved in permiedom and you just need a rest from it. It was a no brainer to put up with contractor hassles when contracting got you triple the money but these days...….

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
            You can reach a point were the tulip involved in contracting outweighs the tulip involved in permiedom and you just need a rest from it. It was a no brainer to put up with contractor hassles when contracting got you triple the money but these days...….
            Yes, exactly this. There's plenty tulip that contractors have to put up with that permie don't but not many people here talk about it.

At the moment, with ir35 and all that stuff, if I had to take a permanent role, I'd be looking at around 1k less a month, maybe a few pounds more, and this assuming I worked 44 weeks in a year. Add some bench time here and there, and there goes all the money difference.

Not worth it as much as it used to be.

Comment

I'm glad I made the leap to permiedom. For me it was the IR35 changes, coupled with finding a large company on my doorstep that was willing to pay me a reasonable package. With the hindsight of Covid-19, I'm glad for the steady pay and annual bonus and generous pension.

I think as you get older too, the thoughts of IR35 investigations, HMR&C on your tail, long commutes, bench time, tulipty contracts, paperwork, accountants, idiotic tw@t agents, constant interviews, etc, starts to lose it appeal.

I work 100% from home if I want to, walk to the office if I need to. Money plonks in every month. Seems a reasonable compromise.

PS If we ever get back to agents begging you to take a contract, £600+ per day, no IR35, single phone call interviews, then I will step back into contracting.
              Last edited by DimPrawn; 21 May 2020, 09:38.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                PS If we ever get back to agents begging you to take a contract, £600+ per day, no IR35, single phone call interviews, then I will step back into contracting.
                And we'll be glad to have you back... erm.. just not at my client, there's a good chap...
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  I'm glad I made the leap to permiedom. For me it was the IR35 changes, coupled with finding a large company on my doorstep that was willing to pay me a reasonable package. With the hindsight of Covid-19, I'm glad for the steady pay and annual bonus and generous pension.

I think as you get older too, the thoughts of IR35 investigations, HMR&C on your tail, long commutes, bench time, tulipty contracts, paperwork, accountants, idiotic tw@t agents, constant interviews, etc, starts to lose it appeal.

I work 100% from home if I want to, walk to the office if I need to. Money plonks in every month. Seems a reasonable compromise.

With your skillset, I would plan on sticking where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    With your skillset, I would plan on sticking where you are.
                    Visual Basic Resurgence? Project Seeks to 'Bring the VBE into This Century!' -- Visual Studio Magazine

Comment

I've not read it, but from the title, I'm guessing was it published circa 1995?

Comment

Working...
                      X