• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    I've not read it, but from the title, I'm guessing was it published circa 1995?
    28th Feb 2020

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      I have found it to be fine. Currently on a 6 figure salary with bonuses on top, technology stack is modern, reviews are once a year and take about 5 minutes. Colleagues are friendly enough but I work from home twice a week, go to the gym every lunchtime and live miles away from the office so I do not know them any better than I knew my colleagues when I was contracting.

Some companies are probably horrible to work at but I like this one.

I do not have to worry about IR35 or new tax rules, my contract being canned and being back on the bench with a finite war chest. There is less pressure on me to keep my skills, contacts etc. up to date. My salary is paid every month regardless of whether I was in each day, had work to do etc.
      I have someone who is trying to tempt me to permie and this situation I would be in, plus a bit of international travel which I enjoy. It’s very tempting!
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
        That's exactly how I imagine hell must look like.
        Maybe for some. I am combating illegal stock market trading whilst learning C# so I am quite entertained.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          I have found it to be fine. Currently on a 6 figure salary with bonuses on top.
          How old are you and how old were you when you cracked your first 6 figure salary?

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
            plus a bit of international travel which I enjoy. It’s very tempting!
            A friend of mine took a job as a consultant because it involved a bit of international travel. The company always flies him to the client on Sundays and flies him back on Saturdays, screwing up a lot of his weekends. So be careful what you wish for

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              A friend of mine took a job as a consultant because it involved a bit of international travel. The company always flies him to the client on Sundays and flies him back on Saturdays, screwing up a lot of his weekends. So be careful what you wish for
              Not done it before myself but the sane working model is 5 (days working) 4 (days working on client site) 3 (nights away).

Comment

My co has an office in the city and Canary Wharf and my manager says he doesn't see the CW office opening again after all this. Consolidate into 1 office and only those who cannot do a role at home can go to the office.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                  My co has an office in the city and Canary Wharf and my manager says he doesn't see the CW office opening again after all this. Consolidate into 1 office and only those who cannot do a role at home can go to the office.
                  Your manager? When did you go perm?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Not done it before myself but the sane working model is 5 (days working) 4 (days working on client site) 3 (nights away).
                    Yes, that's what should happen. Fly to client on Monday, fly back on Friday at the latest.

My friend for 4-5 months was working 2 weeks at home in the uk and 2 weeks at the client side; he'd fly there on Sundays and fly back on Saturdays. Pretty awful arrangement if you ask me. Would not do that for his salary (just a smudge below 6 figure).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Your manager? When did you go perm?
                      April 20th.

Comment

Working...
                      X