• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    April 20th.
    Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Sorry for your loss.
      No apologies necessary. I had 10 years in the game. Sizeable nest egg. On a salary comparable to my 650pd day rate. No complaint so far. Ride this period and see what happens when the dust settles.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        No apologies necessary. I had 10 years in the game. Sizeable nest egg. On a salary comparable to my 650pd day rate. No complaint so far. Ride this period and see what happens when the dust settles.
        I d be very keen to hear first hand what perm salaries map to 650 a day

I have been on here for many years and the most favourite discussion was always what is an equivalent perm salary - So for those who have gone perm I d love to know the industry, day rate and perm salary and whether london or not

Things are looking pretty grim here

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          How old are you and how old were you when you cracked your first 6 figure salary?
          43, I got it when I was 42. I posted about it on here somewhere.

For years I was a C++ developer but due to family reasons I was unable to work in London so my salary never got above mid sixties. Then I got a phone call about my current gig and I told them I would need 6 figures and 2 days a week working from home. They said okay. Wife said okay.

However, until I got the actual offer after the final interview I thought I was wasting everyone's time!
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
            I d be very keen to hear first hand what perm salaries map to 650 a day

I have been on here for many years and the most favourite discussion was always what is an equivalent perm salary - So for those who have gone perm I d love to know the industry, day rate and perm salary and whether london or not

Things are looking pretty grim here
            Just checked through my paperwork for my last 9 months contracting. I took home an average of £6250(ish) a month, on a rate of £450 a day. The perm salary required for this would be about £115000.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              Just checked through my paperwork for my last 9 months contracting. I took home an average of £6250(ish) a month, on a rate of £450 a day. The perm salary required for this would be about £115000.
              Not quite. You are failing to account for pension contributions, holiday pay, and sick-days. The total package figure for a permanent role is the only comparator worth the name.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                Not quite. You are failing to account for pension contributions, holiday pay, and sick-days. The total package figure for a permanent role is the only comparator worth the name.
                Oh balls, yeah. I just compared the take home.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  Not even in this universe

The permie rate is about £80k

BA’s that made £600 a day would struggle to get 70K in London

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I used to work at a consultancy (as a perm) that would pay the perm BAs 40k, and the contract ones (interims) 500pd!

On top of that perms were expected to aid with business development, internal work and social events!

So you were talking 3k take home (with 50% more workload) vs invoice 10k per month. Absolutely insane.

Some of the perm people were really good, I never understood why they hung around there on such awful money.
                    One guy had basically created a sky+ type system for his own TV, this was back in the 90s before sky+ existed.

At current client, perm BA is 55k and contract 500pd. Still quite a gap even with IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
                      ...At current client, perm BA is 55k and contract 500pd. Still quite a gap even with IR35.
                      I hate to say this, but it's really not. Run the numbers properly ( i.e. the whole permanent package including a number of "sick days") compared to the annualised contractor's day rate including holidays, sickness, and down time. You'll find the the difference isn't really that big and that it mostly comes down to slightly better tax efficiency.

I thought that all contractors knew this?
                      Last edited by wattaj; 24 May 2020, 20:33. Reason: Clarity.
                      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                      X