• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    That's not what I've found.

For example, when projects started to get canned due to covid at my current client, it wasn't the permies' heads to be the first on the chopping block.

Contractors don't get to go to training/conferences and it's not even a case of you need to pay it yourself, it's more the case of you can't go to the conference because your permie counterpart is so you need to be in the office.

It's contractors who are undervalued, not permies, despite contractors knowing more than the permie workforce combined.

And this is for around 1000quid a month difference.
    Have you been to any conferences? It's actually disguised holiday from family.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
      Have you been to any conferences? It's actually disguised holiday from family.
      Yes, 3 day conference costing around 1.5/2k. I was permie so my employer paid for it.

And it paid also for a 2 day training course costing 1k.

Yes, conferences are useless more often than not, but still it's something I got access to as a permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        dunno why. Perm vs. perm there.....
        Inside IR35 = perm for pretty much everything that counts
        That's not what I've found.

For example, when projects started to get canned due to covid at my current client, it wasn't the permies' heads to be the first on the chopping block.

Contractors don't get to go to training/conferences and it's not even a case of you need to pay it yourself, it's more the case of you can't go to the conference because your permie counterpart is so you need to be in the office.

It's contractors who are undervalued, not permies, despite contractors knowing more than the permie workforce combined.

And this is for around 1000quid a month difference.
        what counts is not conferences/training/bulltulip.
        what counts is money and holidays
        what's false is job security

So tell me again why inside IR35 is different to perm? Cos if all you've got is conferences and training I'm not feeling it as being different really.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          what counts is not conferences/training/bulltulip.
          what counts is money and holidays
          that's because you're a poor mercenary unable to see beyond money.

what's false is job security
          so can you explain to me why amongst all my colleagues and ex colleagues (both permie and contractors) in the last couple of months half of the contractors have been terminated while all the permies are still employed?

So tell me again why inside IR35 is different to perm? Cos if all you've got is conferences and training I'm not feeling it as being different really.
          conferences and training often lead to career progression, either at the same company or at a different one. Being a contractor (regardless of ir35 status) doesn't lead to any of these long term benefits. Now, for a mercenary like yourself this may not be important, ignorance is bliss and you may be perfectly happy to have the same role at the mid-bottom of the ladder for all your career.

Comment

that's because you're a poor mercenary unable to see beyond money.
            Not quite poor. but not wealthy either.
            You're making quite an accusation about my perspective and life, so if you don't mind you can f*** off with your opinion.

so can you explain to me why amongst all my colleagues and ex colleagues (both permie and contractors) in the last couple of months half of the contractors have been terminated while all the permies are still employed?
            anecdotal evidence..... There's plenty of perms losing jobs as well.

conferences and training often lead to career progression, either at the same company or at a different one. Being a contractor (regardless of ir35 status) doesn't lead to any of these long term benefits. Now, for a mercenary like yourself this may not be important, ignorance is bliss and you may be perfectly happy to have the same role at the mid-bottom of the ladder for all your career.
            My career is doing just fine without clients paying for training. Thank you for your concern though.

Enjoy your safe job and your career. And one day you'll maybe learn that there are other perspectives. You'll note that I make no judgement about you, your lifestyle choices, your career choice. If you learn only one thing from this thread, it should be not to judge people with your own perspective as you'll almost always be wrong.

Back on topic....
            If training and career progression is what you want from life then maybe permanent would suit you better. But also consider that you can get your own training. About the only thing that a contractor cannot provide for themselves is experience, but there's room for that in contracting if done carefully, albeit not a total career change.
            And in my experience as a perm, I wasn't able to change my career massively as I was making money for the employer. They'd only ever send me on training that made them richer, never for something to enrich my life.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Not having to go to company conferences (where people pretend to be interested in their company/industry) or have to take training (where people pretend that it's useful, impartial, accurate etc.) is surely a bonus. Both of those things are massive drags on permanent employment life.

When I'm sat on a beach somewhere or staying in a nice hotel in New York I don't sit there thinking "I wish I was at the Management Consultant Expo in Olympia or undertaking some internal accreditation training"
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

When I'm sat on a beach somewhere or staying in a nice hotel in New York I don't sit there thinking "I wish I was at the Management Consultant Expo in Olympia or undertaking some internal accreditation training"
                Were you sitting on a beach or were you in New York last year when you were crying like a baby about how long you had been on the bench and couldn't find anything?

Comment

Were you sitting on a beach or were you in New York last year when you were crying like a baby about how long you had been on the bench and couldn't find anything?
                  Give it a rest, will you?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    Not having to go to company conferences (where people pretend to be interested in their company/industry) or have to take training (where people pretend that it's useful, impartial, accurate etc.) is surely a bonus. Both of those things are massive drags on permanent employment life.

Agreed. My client offers to pay for me to attend a couple of local conferences a year and bill for the time. Unless I need to present, I politely decline and deliver billable project work instead. Much better way of spending the day for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Give it a rest, will you?
                      Ok, but just because you're asking

Comment

Working...
                      X