Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been? Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 160
  1. #1

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    512

    Default Anyone who has 'went perm', how has it been?

    I am 3 weeks in now. Because I'm WFH, I haven't had to get involved in any extracurricular nonsense but that's in the post. For some reason i feel more bullish, that I can state my views more forcefully now that I have the permie safety net, whereas with contracting getting paid invoices was the priority. I plan to make use of training that I would usually do in my own time.

  2. #2

    More time posting than coding

    krytonsheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heyya99 View Post
    i feel more bullish, that I can state my views more forcefully now that I have the permie safety net
    I had a similar attitude when I did a short permie stint. It was fun at first, but by the end I realised it's a much easier life to carry on with a contractors mindset than slip into the soul destroying hell of permie bulltulip.

  3. #3

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    11,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krytonsheep View Post
    I had a similar attitude when I did a short permie stint. It was fun at first, but by the end I realised it's a much easier life to carry on with a contractors mindset than slip into the soul destroying hell of permie bulltulip.
    You can work how you want. That said, I'm working as a permie for a small consultancy, so there's very much a "we're a group of contractors" attitude anyway. Very light touch HR probably helps, along with working with at least one of the directors every day. As such, they've deemed appraisals largely irrelevant as they'd rather chat with us as the need arises (for good or bad!) than wait 8 weeks until we've both forgotten what it was all about. Not sure I'd be of the same opinion in a larger organisation, but the flip side is that there's opportunities to learn golf and climb the corporate ladder in a larger firm. Each to their own I would suggest.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  4. #4

    Default

    In situations where you air your opinion and it doesn't quite follow the party or your manager's line then if your contracting you run the risk of no extension or worse case being asked to leave sooner rather than fulfill your contract

    For perm - you have this wonderful things called yearly appraisals.......normally your 'performance' leads to your bonus/annual payrise and depending on the size of the company links into future promotion prospects so you may quickly learn that it's death by a thousand cuts

  5. #5

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    421

    Default

    I'd rather die in a ditch than go perm ever again.

  6. #6

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    I'd rather die in a ditch than go perm ever again.
    Perfect timing, we are currently in an environment rich with ditches and plenty of opportunity for dramatic deaths.

  7. #7

    More time posting than coding

    Manic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    You can work how you want. That said, I'm working as a permie for a small consultancy, so there's very much a "we're a group of contractors" attitude anyway. Very light touch HR probably helps, along with working with at least one of the directors every day. As such, they've deemed appraisals largely irrelevant as they'd rather chat with us as the need arises (for good or bad!) than wait 8 weeks until we've both forgotten what it was all about. Not sure I'd be of the same opinion in a larger organisation, but the flip side is that there's opportunities to learn golf and climb the corporate ladder in a larger firm. Each to their own I would suggest.
    Similar situation to me. Enjoying the opportunities and the free training. Especially like the WFH perm element (with a bit of travel expensed). I've not regretted the move as yet.

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    11,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manic View Post
    Similar situation to me. Enjoying the opportunities and the free training. Especially like the WFH perm element (with a bit of travel expensed). I've not regretted the move as yet.
    Definitely. It was nice going down to London on a budget in excess of my contracting budget, fully-reclaimable. It was at our company's cost rather than the client, so the boss said that they can wait - if they're paying, you're going down first class and getting there for nine; if we're paying, you're going off peak standard class, but claim your bacon sandwich and coffee on the train! Nice not to have a 4:30 taxi ride to the station, that's for sure.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  9. #9

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    124

    Default

    I'm 4 months into a perm role, at a place I wouldn't have considered before Autumn's dire job market. It is super-friendly and laid back, but the pace is incredibly slow.

    The slow pace was annoying when in the office as I sit under manager's nose, so obliged to look 'busy'. As a wfh job it's fantastic though. In a more commercially orientated place, they would have worked out they didn't need to so many people. I feel really glad to be there under the circumstances.

    I agree about finding it easier to speak out on anything that's not working. Boss is decent person.

  10. #10

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    3,043

    Default

    Had a sinking, claustrophobic, feeling the moment I got the contract. Lasted ten months, left with nowhere to go.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •