Decisions...decisions...Perm vs Contract Decisions...decisions...Perm vs Contract - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 41 to 50 of 52
  1. #41

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    25,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Unfortunately the dictionery was in the half I didn't take.
    FTFY
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  2. #42

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    418

    Default

    If the role is outside ir35, then it's still better to take the contract over the permanent job.

    In general, for roles inside ir35 (so pretty much all the roles in banking), I see less and less advantages in being a contractor. We're fast approaching 50% take home pay.

  3. #43

    Contractor Among Contractors

    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Yes, I have asked my accountant.
    Posts
    1,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCTNN View Post
    If the role is outside ir35, then it's still better to take the contract over the permanent job.

    In general, for roles inside ir35 (so pretty much all the roles in banking), I see less and less advantages in being a contractor. We're fast approaching 50% take home pay.
    If the input rate is sufficiently high to make it worth your while, then it's still worth doing.

    Before IR35 changes were pulled, I was in talks with a client to do exactly that. My leverage was "what you're doing is a choice, therefore you must pay for that choice, and you have the option of doing what we were doing before for free". Used an in/out IR35 calculator to work out what the new rate would be - something in the order of an extra £200 a day. They said yes.

  4. #44

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    421

    Default

    The "inside" is not only about rate but also about how you engage with the client. It is basically perm, but without any benefits.
    Sure you can negotiate more autonomy, not having to participate in performance reviews, employee parties, but why would your deemed employer agree to that.
    It's over and the alternative has been closed off. The liability is too big for companies to consider "outside" contract past April.
    Last edited by elsergiovolador; 13th May 2020 at 13:52.

  5. #45

    Contractor Among Contractors

    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Yes, I have asked my accountant.
    Posts
    1,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    The "inside" is not only about rate but also about how you engage with the client. It is basically perm, but without any benefits.
    Sure you can negotiate more autonomy, not having to participate in performance reviews, employee parties, but why would your deemed employer agree to that.
    It's over and the alternative has been closed off. The liability is too big for companies to consider "outside" contract past April.
    In the same way a lot of 'outside IR35' roles had inside elements - I suspect a great many 'inside IR35' roles involve outside elements - where things like performance reviews, company cheerleading and general backstabbing/politics aren't part of the role where they would be for fully fledged permanent staff.

    They were contractors before and they'll be contractors after, you're not suddenly going to be treated like you have a career with the client.

  6. #46

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    If the input rate is sufficiently high to make it worth your while, then it's still worth doing.
    Soon it will be worthwhile to be a contractor again.

    Not because the day rates will rise, but because the permie salaries will drop when companies will start to hire again and all these folk who are now unemployed will be accepting whatever they're given.

  7. #47

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCTNN View Post
    Soon it will be worthwhile to be a contractor again.

    Not because the day rates will rise, but because the permie salaries will drop when companies will start to hire again and all these folk who are now unemployed will be accepting whatever they're given.
    Why companies would hire permies if they can just issue inside contracts? It is more likely that rates will drop significantly and we will see 200 per day inside contracts as a new norm and only few perm job offers for core staff.

  8. #48

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    20,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    Why companies would hire permies if they can just issue inside contracts? It is more likely that rates will drop significantly and we will see 200 per day inside contracts as a new norm and only few perm job offers for core staff.

    Because sometimes businesses want someone for more than a couple of years.
    Because businesses have plans that are different to individuals who think they are companies
    Because businesses are looking to the future and need experience and quality, not just cheap.
    Because the cost of onboarding a contractor is considerably higher than onboarding a permie.

    Lots of reasons, just because they might not be obvious to you doesn't make them invalid.
    Practice social posting
    Stay Alert
    - Moderate the Posts -Save Face
    Together we can beat the CV offenders

  9. #49

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Because sometimes businesses want someone for more than a couple of years.
    Because businesses have plans that are different to individuals who think they are companies
    Because businesses are looking to the future and need experience and quality, not just cheap.
    Because the cost of onboarding a contractor is considerably higher than onboarding a permie.

    Lots of reasons, just because they might not be obvious to you doesn't make them invalid.
    And how that gives an incentive to give perm contract?

    What are the advantages of employment contract over inside IR35 for an employer to even consider it?

    The new norm will be perm roles for core staff and rest will work on rolling inside IR35.

  10. #50

    Double Godlike!

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    10,904

    Default

    autosergie
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •