• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decisions...decisions...Perm vs Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Just guessing again. If you've not had a permanent job for years, why are you guessing like this?
    Unless anything significant changed in the intellectual property space, whatever employee creates that falls within his or hers job description would belong to the employer by default unless there is scope specified in the employment contact. You may also have a clause that you cannot work for any other business (including your own).

Hope I am wrong on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
      As a contractor why would you do nothing?...
      No, as a permie, if you are put on gardening leave you are paid to do nothing - should you choose to spend this time learning or searching for work, that's up to you, you're still being paid for it

Contractor likely gets paid in arrears, so you may have money coming for months after ending the job.
      Ah yes, money for the work you have done already.

Spot the difference?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Daplayer321 View Post
        1) A contract offer of £475 a day for a government based project (6 months contract) but I know there’s potentially at least a years worth of work - only 10mins drive

2) £60k perm role back at a company I used to work for (I know them well and expect longevity) - 50mins drive however once settled will get 2-3 days wfh.
        For me, contract.

One is no more secure than the other these day. Been that way for a while. And the speed with which you can fill your war chest will be erm, speedier than from a perm role.

And anyway, that drive!

Comment

Unless anything significant changed in the intellectual property space, whatever employee creates that falls within his or hers job description would belong to the employer by default unless there is scope specified in the employment contact. You may also have a clause that you cannot work for any other business (including your own).

Hope I am wrong on this one.
          What you create with your own kit, in your own time, with skills that they have taught you is nothing to do with the company that you work for. If I choose to write a website in my own time, on my own kit, with my own software, that incorporates streaming of video gaming, for example, and it takes off as a lucrative hobby, they won't be entitled to a penny of it.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Think about it, if you start the job and absolutely hate it, you'll be on probation for about 3 months. During that time you'll probably be able to walk in a week.
            After that you'll be on the notice you've negotiated.
            You'll get put on gardening leave - fully paid, but sitting at home doing nothing. Unlike the contractor who gets marched off site with no money coming in. Such a horrible situation.
            I've literally never seen or heard of anyone getting gardening leave on a 3 month notice.

I'd imagine the only place that would happen would be jobs where you had like security clearance or something.

Maybe it's common practice in the industry you're in? Just never seen it.

I do agree if it's common practice in your industry then that's great. I would just work somewhere till my probation is up and then give notice and go on holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              I've literally never seen or heard of anyone getting gardening leave on a 3 month notice.

I'd imagine the only place that would happen would be jobs where you had like security clearance or something.

I do agree if it's common practice in your industry then that's great. I would just work somewhere till my probation is up and then give notice and go on holiday.
              Not uncommon in data or customer orientated roles amongst others. Stops you nicking the CRM and tapping up customers while you wind down.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Take the permie job and be thankful come April next year when the contract market bottoms out again? Or take the contract and look for higher paid permie role in the mean time?

I have an outside 500pd vs 75k offer on the table. Am taking the 75k perm role as I don't want the stress I had this year come April 2021. Suspect there will be some nasty tax changes all round so going to close shop/take funds until the market stabilizes

Comment

Happens when people are moving to a competitor.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I "literally have" seen it and heard of it.

It occurs in industries where you have access to business sensitive data or business critical systems.
                    It also occurs if you are senior in large organisations.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Not uncommon in data or customer orientated roles amongst others. Stops you nicking the CRM and tapping up customers while you wind down.
                      Yep. Sales people basically.
                      It’s why the savvy ones nick the CRM before they quit.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X