• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding Devs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelancers.net?

Hi,

You could check out Freelancers.net. Not sure what the quality is like but used to be very good. Can search for a skill then go through and look at locations. Better than Upwork / People Per Hour, but will still get some offshore people on there too.

Comment

Our consultacy is currently looking to take on new clients. I have dropped you a private message.

Comment

How much is it to put something on Jobserve, or a free site that'll be gobbled up by one of the aggregators?

Pay nothing and you'll get a quantity of rubbish, though
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
          What are good places / Website for direct contracts currently? I'm looking for a Manchester / Rochdale area Ruby dev, but dont want agencies and the initial project is only small, but may lead to more so dont want to pay for an advert.
          (Emphasis mine).

There's the problem. If you're too cheap to pay for an advert, I don't even want to think about what your rate might be like.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
            (Emphasis mine).

There's the problem. If you're too cheap to pay for an advert, I don't even want to think about what your rate might be like.
            contractors aren't good at recruiting people.

They often have a massive chip on their shoulder about agents.
            And when they find it hard to find anyone it's because they "have such unique skills". It reinforces their own bias about their amazing skillz.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              I'm a very experienced Ruby dev. I'm not based where you're looking but generally work remotely anyway. Happy to discuss if you want to send me a PM.
              Woohoo an actual Ruby Dev, this makes me happy as there don't seem to be many about these days. I myself am in the Testing space and Ruby is my main language, people tend to scoff a bit when they hear that because it's not Java
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                Woohoo an actual Ruby Dev, this makes me happy as there don't seem to be many about these days. I myself am in the Testing space and Ruby is my main language, people tend to scoff a bit when they hear that because it's not Java
                Probably most of them moved to Python & Go, and Ruby On Railers moved to Elixir?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                  Probably most of them moved to Python & Go, and Ruby On Railers moved to Elixir?
                  I don’t think many Rails devs have moved on to Elixir - it looks interesting but not if you actually want to find work. It’s pretty niche.

A lot of Rails devs have more likely moved on to “full stack” and now they have to write JavaScript for a living. I don’t envy them. React, and all that kind of thing. The front end ecosystem is a mess. Lots of work in that space though.

Go seems to be getting some traction commercially too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    Woohoo an actual Ruby Dev,
                    But you wouldn't have known if you met him. He appears fairly normal and an alround decent fella.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X